Megan Gustafson ranked eighth on ESPN’s list of best college women’s basketball players

Megan Gustafson earned national recognition after her stellar campaign last season, and she’s listed as a top-10 player in the country for this season.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa center Megan Gustafson celebrates after drawing a foul while making a basket during an Iowa/Purdue women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 76-70. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

ESPN released its list of the 25 best women’s college basketball players on Friday, and Hawkeye Megan Gustafson made the list, coming in at No. 8.

“Gustafson went from good to great as a junior,” ESPN’s Charlie Creme wrote. “She led the country in scoring and field goal percentage and finished fifth in rebounding. Her post game is about quickness and efficiency and is the ideal fit for Iowa’s up-tempo, spread offense. Gustafson will outrun most other bigs and has become an uncanny finisher. She spent the offseason working on a jumper, which should make her even more WNBA-ready and that much more dangerous this season. It’s hard to imagine Gustafson being better in 2019, but if she is, Iowa could make a run at a Big Ten title.”

Last season, Gustafson averaged 25.7 points and 12.8 rebounds per game on 67.1 percent shooting.

Iowa tips off its regular season on Friday, hosting Oral Roberts at 7 p.m. in Carver.