Quaker beatdown for Hawkeye basketball

With Jordan Bohannon out, Tyler Cook and Joe Wieskamp did a little bit of everything on Sunday.

Lily Smith

Iowa forward Tyler Cook dunks the ball during the Iowa/Guilford College basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Quakers, 103-46. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Exhibition matchups are good for two things: getting plenty of players time on the court and putting on a show for the fans.

That’s exactly what went down on Sunday in Carver, as Iowa throttled Guilford, 103-46, just a few days before the season-opener.

“It feels good,” forward Tyler Cook said. “There’s still a lot of things we need to clean up. With a team like that, with all due respect, we should have held them to less… come Thursday, it won’t be a drill anymore.”

Tyler Cook stuffed the stat sheet, scoring 12 points, grabbing 9 rebounds, and dishing out 7 assists in 22 minutes, and hyped freshman Joe Wieskamp scored a team-high 14 points in the route.

Wieskamp also had 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals, doing a little bit of everything in his 19 minutes of action.

“You know I thought I would [be], but I wasn’t nervous at all,” he said. “Just another game. It felt good to finally get out there after not playing a game since the state tournament in March.”

Defensively, the Hawkeyes never let the Quakers get into any sort of rhythm. Guilford turned the ball over 26 times and shot just 29.7 percent from the field.

No player on Guilford’s roster scored more than 8 points, and just three scored more than 5.

“I think we did a pretty good job [on defense], especially when we go up 30, 40, just being able to continue to stay locked in and focused… there’s always room to improve,” Luke Garza said.

Injury update

On Saturday, Jordan Bohannon donned a blue suit rather than his usual Hawkeye jersey. According to head coach Fran McCaffery, Iowa’s starting point guard has a “bad bone bruise.”

The injury has kept him out for roughly the past two weeks.

McCaffery said that he’s day-to-day at the time, but he’s somewhat optimistic of the guard’s return for the season-opener against UMKC.

“The plan will be for him to play,” McCaffery said.

Connor McCaffery started ahead of Bohannon on Sunday. He finished with 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal.

“[Connor McCaffery] did fine,” Fran McCaffery said. “He tried to force it a few times, but we have the some of the best low-post scorers, and he wants to throw it in there more. I was impressed with his ability on trying to get it in and trying to get it to shooters as well. He’s trying to load guys up,”

C.J. Fredrick to redshirt

Just as Bohannon sat out of the exhibition game, so did fellow guard C.J. Fredrick.

While Bohannon’s absence was due to injury, Fredrick didn’t play because of his decision to redshirt this season.

His injured rib, something that happened in practice in October, was a big factor, though.

“I think it was something that we had talked about, but I think his injury really solidified it for him,” Fran McCaffery said. “He’s not ready to go. He can now get healthy, get after it with [trainers] in the weight room, learn three positions, and be ready to go… he’s going to be terrific. C.J. is really good.”