Football grades for Iowa-Purdue

Iowa’s loss to Purdue didn’t earn the Hawkeyes too many good grades in this week’s report card.

Iowa+running+back+Mekhi+Sargent+scores+a+touchdown+during+the+Iowa%2FPurdue+game+at+Ross-Ade+Stadium+in+West+Lafayette%2C+Ind.+The+Boilermakers+defeated+the+Hawkeyes%2C+38-36%2C+with+a+last+second+field+goal.+

Lily Smith

Iowa running back Mekhi Sargent scores a touchdown during the Iowa/Purdue game at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Ind. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 38-36, with a last second field goal.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Offense: B

Well, Iowa finally moved the ball with consistency, something it wasn’t able to do against Penn State a week earlier. Nate Stanley threw for 275 yards and a touchdown, plus he added another on the ground. Meanwhile, Mehki Sargent scored twice, and Toren Young led the team with 45 yards rushing.

Iowa put up 36 points. Normally, that’s good enough to win with Iowa’s defense.

Two holding penalties on Iowa’s final drive (a possession that the Hawkeyes needed to eat up clock and add to their lead), killed any hope at holding the ball for the rest of the game.

Defense: C

Thanksgiving is a few weeks away, but David Blough carved up the Hawkeye defense like a holiday Turkey. He threw for more than 300 yards and 4 touchdowns, and Iowa’s defensive line only got to him once.

Iowa safeties Amani Hooker and Jake Gervase did pick off Blough, though, which was a positive. But that’s about it.

Special teams: C+

Punting didn’t work out for Iowa on Saturday. Colten Rastetter hit a pair of 31-yard kicks in the second half, and each of those set Purdue up for scores.

His first 31-yarder ended with a 24-yard return by Rondale Moore, setting the Boilermakers up for a touchdown a few plays later (Purdue went up, 35-23, at that point).

Then, after Iowa’s final offensive drive stalled, Rastetter’s second 31-yard punt put the Boilermakers at the 50-yard line, and they easily drove down for the game-winning field goal.