Volleyball falls to No. 7 Penn State

Penn State took control of the match against Iowa for a 3-0 sweep.

Iowa players dive for the ball during a volleyball match between Iowa and Penn State on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018. The Hawkeyes were shut out by the Nittany Lions, 3-0.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

After breaking its losing streak on Nov. 2 against Rutgers, Iowa fell in three sets to No. 7 Penn State on Nov. 3.

Iowa’s offense started off flat in the first set, and it if wasn’t for the work of the defense, the set wouldn’t have been close.

Hawkeye attackers barely collected a .118 hitting percentage to start off the night. the Nittany Lions hit .308, and Penn State took the first set, 25-18.

Iowa found a groove in the second set and battled point-for-point with the Lions at the beginning. It went on 3 and 4-point runs to take a lead early but was unable to hold off Penn State’s counterattack. An 8-2 run gave the Nittany Lions a 14-12 lead.

After trading possessions, 3-straight points sparked an Iowa timeout, down 20-16. Iowa battled again, but it was Penn State’s set, 25-20.

The Hawkeye offense only recorded 13 kills and had 8 attack errors in the second-set loss.

Iowa’s attack percentage dropped to .083 in the finale. Iowa fell 25-17 for a 3-0 sweep.

The Hawkeyes will be back in action on Nov. 7, when Nebraska comes to town for a 7 p.m. start.