Gustafson named Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year

Megan Gustafson and Kathleen Doyle represent the Hawkeyes in Big Ten women's basketball awards.

Iowa forward Megan Gustafson attempts a shot during the Iowa/Creighton NCAA tournament first round basketball game at Pauley Pavilion on UCLA's campus in Los Angeles on Saturday, March 17, 2018. The Bluejays defeated the Hawkeyes, 76-70. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

After being named Big Ten Player of the Year by conference media for the 2017-18 season, Iowa senior forward Megan Gustafson was tabbed the Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year by the conference’s coaches and media, the league office announced Monday.

Gustafson led the country with 25.7 points per game and a 67.1 field goal percentage last year, while also making 320 shots on her way to becoming the second player in the last 10 years to average at least 24 points and 12 rebounds (12.8).

Gustafson currently boasts marks of 1,803 career points and 979 rebounds, giving her a chance to become Iowa’s all-time leader in points if she can pass Ally Disterhoft’s 2,102 career points and Cindy Haugejorde’s 1,067 career rebounds.

She can also become just the seventh Big Ten player to post 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds.

Iowa junior guard Kathleen Doyle was named to the Preseason All-Big Ten team by coaches and media along with Gustafson after ranking 12th in the country with 6.6 assists per game. She also led the conference with 7.5 assists in Big Ten play last season.

The Hawkeyes were also picked to finish second in the conference behind Maryland by both the conference coaches and media.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI,...

• Gustafson named Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year

Hawkeyes avoid upset, beat Nittany Lions on the road

Gustafson, Iowa seek to stretch home winning streak

Sports

Iowa men’s track using rest for success

Sports

Iowa swimming and diving ready to open second half after break

Men's Basketball

Cook a question mark as Iowa travels to Penn State

Sports

DeSanto looks to be third Hawkeye to top Rutgers’ Suriano

Sports

Iowa women’s basketball displays solid midseason stats

Sports

Iowa women’s tennis searches for smooth transition from fall season

Football

Hawkeye football’s defense locked and loaded for 2019

Football

Hockenson declares for NFL Draft