Iowa cross-country women close out final regular-season meet

Iowa women ran at the Illini Open and wrapped up the regular season by showcasing head coach Randy Hasenbank’s training program in the results.

Senior+Andrea+Shine+gives+a+pep+talk+before+the+Hawkeye+Invitational+at+Ashton+Cross+Country+course+on+Friday%2C+August+31%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+were+defeated+by+Iowa+State+24-56.+Andrea+Shine+placed+first+in+the+Womens+4K+with+a+time+of+14%3A07.5.+

Katie Goodale

Senior Andrea Shine gives a pep talk before the Hawkeye Invitational at Ashton Cross Country course on Friday, August 31, 2018. The Hawkeyes were defeated by Iowa State 24-56. Andrea Shine placed first in the Women’s 4K with a time of 14:07.5.

Hanna Malzenski, Sports Reporter

The Iowa women’s cross-country ran solo this past weekend at the Illini Open in Champaign, placing third among the five teams in the 5,000 meters.

Illinois, Bradley, Indiana State, and Marquette harriers made up the competition.

Iowa’s approach to the meet was different. Head coach Randy Hasenbank decided to hold back the men’s team and half of the women’s team until the Big Ten Championships on Oct. 28.

“This meet provides us an additional opportunity for some of our young runners to get in one more race,” Hasenbank said in a press release. “We can also evaluate the fall training based on these results.”

Those results showed promise. Sophomore Wren Renquist led the Iowa women with an 11th-place finish at 18:53.8, a personal record. Renquist ran the 5K in 20:29.6 at the 2017 Notre Dame Invitational.

RELATED: Iowa cross-country runs alone, finishes for the team

Ashley Espinosa was Iowa’s second finisher. The senior placed 15th (19:01.0), and right behind her was freshman Emma Gordon in 16th (19:03.4). Sophomore Mary Arch at 24th (19:19.2) and freshman Patty Teggatz at 32nd (19:33.5) rounded out the top five for the Hawkeyes.

The fall training that Hasenbank referenced is his combination of “fartlek” (“speed play,” from Swedish) and timed intervals. Hasenbank is in his third season as Iowa’s distance coach, following previous coach Layne Anderson’s departure. Senior Andrea Shine spent her freshman year in Anderson’s program and sees a difference.

“That type of interval style has helped break through a barrier in racing,” Shine said. “I know what I’m capable of based on the measured efforts that we do at practice.”

This training style has come through for Iowa women. They are heading into the championship season with a regular season that has included respectable regional rankings. In Week 4 of this season, the Hawkeye women were ranked No. 6 in the region. That is the highest ranking the team has had since a No. 4 ranking in 2012.

With the Big Ten meet just around the corner, the Hawkeyes hope their momentum continues.