Hawkeye soccer loses to Minnesota and loses ground in Big Ten standings

Looking for postseason soccer, Iowa fell in its last road game and in the standings.

Nick Rohlman

Players fight for a cross during Iowa’s game against Michigan at The Hawkeye Soccer Complex on Sunday, October 14, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wolverines 1-0.

Jess Westendorf, Sports Reporter

Hawkeye soccer traveled to Minneapolis to take on Minnesota on Thursday night, but Iowa could not overcome the Gophers’ high-powered offense.

Minnesota took the victory over the Hawkeyes, 3-1.

Redshirt junior Kaleigh Haus scored the only goal for the Hawkeyes in the 32nd minute, her 4th on the season.

This was a crucial game for the Hawkeyes. Iowa was tied with Minnesota for seventh in the Big Ten; the Big Ten Tournament only takes the top eight teams. This game served as a tiebreaker for both teams.

Minnesota dominated on offense and took an early lead in the 13th minute on a corner kick by Molly Fiedler. April Bockin quickly added another goal in the 22nd minute for the Gophers.

Hawkeye redshirt freshman Josie Durr had the opportunity to equal the score at 2 with five minutes left in the first half, but Minnesota’s defense blocked the shot.

Even after the blocked attempt, the Hawkeyes seemed to have some momentum and a chance to get back in the game going into half.

But Bockin sealed the deal for the Gophers. She added the third and final goal of the game on an assist by Nikki Albrecht.

Looking at the stats, the Hawkeyes fared pretty well. The offense had 9 shots with 5 of them on goal.

RELATED: Hawkeye soccer looks to break tie with Minnesota

Minnesota had 11 shots with 3 of them on goal. The difference in the end was that the 3 shots for Minnesota ended up finding the back of the net.

“We need to get off to a better start in all areas of the game,” Iowa head coach Dave DiIanni said in a release. “Our mentality wasn’t good enough, and we lost to a team that executed the game plan better. We’re a much better team than we showed tonight, and these ladies will be ready to play on [Oct. 21].”

This loss now puts the Hawkeyes at eighth place in the standings with Michigan and Northwestern behind them.

Iowa now has to shift focus and look to return home for Senior Night and the final match of the regular season against Northwestern on Oct. 21 at 1 p.m. at the Iowa Soccer Complex.

Coming home to end the season should be good for the team, especially since it has an undefeated home record of 7-0-2.

This will be a special game to celebrate the four seniors on the squad and try to secure a spot in the Big Ten Tournament.

Iowa will send off Jenna Kentgen, Karsen Rauch, Morgan Kemerling, and Rose Ripslinger on Senior Night.

“All four girls were recruited by the former staff, and they had a chance to not come to Iowa after the coaching change, and I am very appreciative that they stayed with their commitment,” DiIanni said. “They came, and I think all four of them play such a different role,  and I have an appreciation for all of them.”