Report Card: How did the Hawkeyes do against the Hoosiers?

Across the board, Iowa had an all-around solid day against Indiana.

Katina Zentz

Indiana defensive back Issac James prepares to tackle Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette during Iowa’s game at Indiana at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington on Saturday, October 13, 2018. The Hawkeyes beat the Hoosiers 42-16.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Offense: A

Well, 46 points is good. Six passing touchdown is also good. Throw in 497 yards of total offense, 159 rushing yards, two runners with at least 59 yards, and you’ve got a rock-solid offensive performance. Oct. 13 was Iowa’s best offensive outing this season, top to bottom.

Quarterback Nate Stanley spread the ball around in the passing game, sharing the love with nine receivers — a total team effort.

Defense: B

Indiana moved the ball pretty consistently against Iowa, but the Hawkeyes made plays with their backs against the wall.

A lot of the Hoosiers’ output came on dink-and-dunk passes, and Iowa really only gave up one big play — a 32-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter.

But the defense held Indiana to just 67 yards on 25 attempts (2.7 yards per carry for the math whizzes out there).

But Iowa did snag 2 interception. Geno Stone’s tip-drill pick in the end zone was an excellent momentum killer, silencing a fluid Hoosier drive.

Special teams: A

Ihmir Smith-Marsette letting a kickoff bounce inside the 10-yard line? Bad.

Ihmir Smith-Marsette picking up the ball, running across the field, and eventually hurdling a kicker for a gain of 60 yards? Very good.

Kyle Groenewig had a 35-yard return, Devonte Young took a kickoff 24 yards, and Miguel Recinos was a perfect 6-for-6 on extra points.

’Twas a good day for the special teams.