Iowa QB Nate Stanley earns Walter Camp Player of the Week honors

Nate Stanley’s 6-touchdown explosion against Indiana earned him national recognition.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley throws on the run during Iowa’s game against Indiana at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington on Saturday, October 13, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hoosiers 42-16.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley picked up Offensive Player of the Week honors from the Walter Camp Football Foundation following his 6-touchdown performance in the Hawkeyes’ 42-16 win over Indiana.

Stanley completed 21-of-33 passes against the Hoosiers for 320 yards and 6 touchdowns.

The mark ties Chuck Long for the second-most passing touchdowns in a game in program history, trailing just Chuck Hartlieb, who threw for 7 scores in a game against Northwestern in 1987. Stanley also spread his 6 touchdowns around to five different receivers, getting everyone involved in an offensive explosion.

He passed Hartlieb and C.J. Beathard with his 41st career touchdown pass against Indiana and is now tied with Matt Rodgers for sixth all-time in Iowa history.

Stanley now has 10 touchdowns over the past two games, which is also tied for the most in a four-game stretch in Hawkeye history, along with Chuck Long.

With his performance Oct. 13, Stanley now has four 300-yard passing games in his career, with three of them coming in the last four games.

Stanley has thrown for 1,473 yards and 15 touchdowns on the season while completing 62 percent of his passes.

Stanley is the first offensive player from Iowa to win Walter Camp National Player of the Week honors, and he is the first Hawkeye since Josh Jackson accomplished the feat following his 3-interception outing against Ohio State last season.