Iowa wrestling’s Stoll, Turk suspended for season-opener

Sam Stoll and Vince Turk will be suspended for Iowa wrestling's season-opener at Kent State Nov. 9.

Iowa wrestler Vince Turk grapples with Michigan wrestler Sal Profaci at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018. The Wolverines defeated the Hawkeyes 19-17. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa heavyweight Sam Stoll and 141-pounder Vince Turk will be suspended for a violation of team policy and rules for the Hawkeyes’ season-opener against Kent State on Nov. 9, Iowa head coach Tom Brands announced Wednesday.

“This program holds its wrestlers to a high standard and our team expects everyone to meet those standards,” Brands said in a release. “When a student-athlete falls short of those expectations, it is the coach’s job to hold them accountable.”

Brands previously said that Stoll would be suspended for the match on Sept. 25, when he spoke at the Grid Club in Davenport, Iowa.

Stoll suffered a gunshot wound to the knee in June, but is now healthy. Stoll was charged with falsely reporting to law enforcement following the incident.

“Sam and Vince have accepted the consequences of their actions,” Brands said in a release. “The infractions were a first for both men, and I am very pleased with their response. We are moving forward.”

Stoll placed fifth at the NCAA Championships in 2018 following a fourth-place finish at the Big Ten Championships. He won the Gorriarian Trophy for the most pins in the least amount of time with 3 falls in 8:50.

Turk also qualified for the NCAA Championships last season after placing fifth at the Big Ten Championships. He posted a 15-10 record on the year, including a 6-4 mark in duals. Turk closed his year out by winning the Most Improved Award at the team’s annual banquet.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI, including football, men’s basketball, baseball, wrestling, and men’s tennis. Currently a junior, he served as a sports reporter his freshman year, before becoming the Assistant Sports Editor his sophomore year.

• Iowa wrestling’s Stoll, Turk suspended for season-opener

Reynolds supports over-the-counter birth control

Kid Captain

The Hawkeye Spirit: Children’s Hospital and Iowa football celebrate a decade of Kid Captain

Football

Ranked Hawkeyes aim to stop Terrapin ground attack

UI’s tobacco ban difficult to enforce as students continue to smoke on campus

Kid Captain

Kid Captain received best birthday gift ever — a kidney transplant

Homecoming Council strives for inclusivity through new initiatives

Second of 4 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidates holds forum

Football

Iowa’s tight ends have turned into the strongest offensive force

Football

Hawkeye defense not affected by injury bug

Who's Who: 2018 Election

Ex-USDA official Tim Gannon eyes Iowa ag-secretary office