Field hockey loses home winning streak

No. 10 Iowa out shot No. 6 Michigan 13-7, but were unable to put enough shots away to seal the win.

Iowa+midfielder+Nikki+Freeman+fights+for+control+of+the+ball+during+a+field+hockey+match+against+Michigan+on+Friday%2C+Oct.+5%2C+2018.+The+no.+6+ranked+Wolverines+defeated+the+no.+10+ranked+Hawkeyes+2-1.+

Field hockey loses home winning streak

Iowa midfielder Nikki Freeman fights for control of the ball during a field hockey match against Michigan on Friday, Oct. 5, 2018. The no. 6 ranked Wolverines defeated the no. 10 ranked Hawkeyes 2-1.

David Harmantas

David Harmantas

David Harmantas

Sarah Altemeier, Sports Reporter

The No. 10 Iowa field-hockey team fell, 2-1, in its matchup with No. 6 Michigan on Oct. 5 at Grant Field.

The Wolverines started the match off hot, with Katheryn Peterson scoring an unassisted goal on the first shot of the game five minutes in.

Hawkeye sophomore Mya Christopher responded in the 16th minute, scoring her second goal of the season on an assist by junior Isabella Solaroli.

Wolverine Meg Dowthwaite scored before the end of half on an assist from Katie Anderson, putting Michigan up 1 after 35 minutes of play. Michigan attempted only two shots in the first half, and each resulted in a goal.

In the second half, the Hawkeyes attempted 10 shots but was unable to net an equalizer. Michigan goalkeeper Anna Spieker tallied 9 saves, 7 in the second period. Despite outshooting Michigan 13-7, the Hawkeyes lost, 2-1.

“We couldn’t be prouder of the effort,” head coach Lisa Cellucci said. “They did everything we asked them to do today, and we just, unfortunately, didn’t finish. [We] outshot Michigan, and we really played a great defensive game. We just have to find a way to put the ball in the goal, and that’s what it really came down today. But we were really proud of the grit and just how we stuck to the game plan.”

The Hawkeyes will have a day of recovery before they face No. 21 Stanford on Oct. 7 at 2 p.m. at Grant Field.

“We can’t dwell on this,” Cellucci said. “We can’t sulk. We have to get ready and prepared for Stanford. Stanford’s going to be just as good as Michigan on Sunday.”

• Field hockey loses home winning streak

Field Hockey

The young Iowa field hockey team turns heads

Field Hockey

Iowa field hockey falls to Wake Forest in first round of NCAA Tournament

Field Hockey

Iowa field hockey continues impressive season at NCAAs

Field Hockey

By the Numbers: Iowa field hockey heads to NCAAs

Field Hockey

Iowa field hockey falls to Maryland in Big Ten Tournament Championship

Field Hockey

Photos: Big Ten Field Hockey Tournament Championship (11/4/18)

Field Hockey

Hawkeye field hockey downs Michigan, earns championship berth

Field Hockey

Photos: Big Ten Field Hockey Tournament Semifinals (11/2/18)

Field Hockey

Hawkeye field hockey set to face second-seeded Wolverines in Big Ten semifinals

Field Hockey

Hawkeye field hockey victorious in Big Ten quarterfinal