Community members quarrel over speed humps

The Iowa City City Council passed a resolution to implement speed humps on Highland Avenue between Boyrum and Keokuk Street to prevent speeding through a residential area.

Members+of+Iowa+City+CIty+Council+hold+a+meeting+on+Tuesday%2C+March+6%2C+2018.+

Olivia Sun

Members of Iowa City CIty Council hold a meeting on Tuesday, March 6, 2018.

Maria Kuiper, News Reporter

The Iowa City City Council passed a resolution to install speed humps on Highland Avenue between Boyrum Street and Keokuk Street on Tuesday.

The Traffic Calming Program of Iowa City surveyed 20 houses in the three-block area, and 11 responded. Of the 11 houses that responded, 81 percent indicated they approved of the proposal to implement speed humps.

Mayor Jim Throgmorton mentioned the “community center” of the neighborhood is home to a church and park where children play.

Two community members, as well as a visitor to the city, were adamantly opposed to the decision to put speed humps in the street and said it would slow down their commute to work.

However, members of the community who lived in between Keokuk and Boyrum Street on Highland Avenue advocated for the City Council to approve the speed humps. These individuals noted there are other commute options, and the safety and livelihood of the neighborhood should be most important.

All councilors voted to pass the resolution. Although there was some argument from community members, the council reiterated the city had taken proper precautions to receive approval from first-responders and members of the neighborhood.

Kent Ralston, the executive director for the Metropolitan Planning Organization of Johnson County, said speed humps would be the least intrusive and most cost effective solution to commuters speeding through Highland Avenue.