Iowa running back Kyshaun Bryan to transfer

Iowa running back Kyshaun Bryan tweeted his intention to transfer Monday.

Nick Rohlman

The Hawkeyes take the field before their game against Wisconsin at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 22, 2018. The Badgers defeated the Hawkeyes 28-17.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Hawkeye running back Kyshaun Bryan is leaving the Iowa football program and will be looking at his options to transfer.

“I want to thank the University of Iowa, my teammates, and Coach Ferentz for the opportunity to be an Iowa Hawkeye,” Bryan tweeted. “I have created great memories and became a better student-athlete while attending this University. I will no longer be furthering my career as an Iowa Hawkeye. My family and I feel it is the best decision for my future.”

The redshirt freshman from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, was previously taking a leave of absence from the team after redshirting in 2017.

“He’s taking a leave right now, so we’re going to bring him back at bye week and kind of circle back, see where he’s at, and see if he’s more prepared to practice,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said at his weekly press conference on September 4.

As a senior at St. Thomas Aquinas High, Bryan rushed for 737 yards and 7 touchdowns on 107 carries. His performance helped lead his team to a state title and No. 5 national ranking.

Bryan didn’t figure to have a big role in the Hawkeye backfield this season, as Ivory Kelly-Martin, Toren Young, and Mekhi Sargent have garnered the majority of work.

True freshman Henry Geil has also gotten in on the action, recording 15 carries through the first four games.