Iowa women’s golf heads to Tennessee for second tournament

With one tournament under their belts, the Hawkeyes are looking to improve in Knoxville.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa golfer Kristin Glesne stands for a portrait at the Hoak Practice Facility at the Finkbine Gold Course on Thursday, Sept. 14, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa women’s golf is set to compete in its second tournament of the season Monday, as it travels to Knoxville, Tennessee, to play in the Mercedes Benz Women’s Collegiate Championship.

The Hawkeye lineup will be led by captains Kristin Glesne and Shawn Rennegarbe, as freshmen Dana Lerner and Manuela Lizarazu, and sophomore Stephanie Herzog tee it up as well.

Glesne shot a career-best 54-hole score of 218 (5-under) at the 2017 Mercedes Benz Invite, tying for 29th. Rennegarbe also carded what was the best round of her career, shooting a 72 in the first round of the tournament.

The Hawkeyes are coming off a 14th-place finish at the Branch Law Firm Invitational with a three-round score of 909 (45-over).

No. 15 Kent State – which won the Branch Law Firm Invitational – will be one of five top-50 teams competing in Knoxville, along with Tennessee (No. 43), Illinois (No. 23), Ole Miss (No. 34), and Brigham Young (No. 42).

Glense led Iowa to start the season at the Branch Invite, tying for 33rd after shooting a three-round score of 221 (5-over).

Rennegarbe bettered her career-low score in the second round of the tournament, shooting a 71.