Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

Iowa moves to 3-0 on the year after it takes down in-state foe Northern Iowa on Saturday.

Iowa tight end Noah Fant celebrates as he crosses the goal line in the first quarter of a football game against Northern Iowa at Kinnick Stadium on Satruday, Sep. 15, 2018. At halftime, the Hakeyes led the Panthers 21-0. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas

David Harmantas

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Hawkeye football is 3-0 to start 2018 after Iowa took down Northern Iowa, 38-14, in dominating fashion on the evening of Sept. 15.

Iowa had a stumbling start on its first drive — penalties effectively killed any early momentum, but from then on, the Hawkeye offense hit its stride.

The Black and Gold put up a season-high point total while eating up yards both through the air (338) and on the ground (206).

Quarterback Nate Stanley had himself a day against the Northern Iowa secondary, throwing for 309 yards and 2 touchdowns, while completing 82 percent of his pass attempts.

The two top targets in Iowa’s passing game in 2017, Nick Easley and Noah Fant, had their best games of the season. Easley snared 10 receptions for 103 yards and a touchdown, and Fant caught 5 passes for 99 yards and a touchdown.

Meanwhile, with Ivory Kelly-Martin out with an injury, Iowa used its two-man wrecking crew to tear apart the Panther defense. Toren Young finished with 82 yards on 14 carries (and a touchdown), and Mekhi Sargent gained 72 on 15, scoring 2 touchdowns of his own.

On the other side of the ball, the Hawkeye defense allowed just 228 yards of offense by Northern Iowa. The Panthers’ first points of the game came early in the fourth quarter when quarterback Eli Dunne threw a 4-yard pass to Briley Moore. Before that score, Iowa’s defense had not allowed a touchdown for seven quarters in a row.

Looking ahead, Iowa will turn its focus to Wisconsin. The Badgers will travel to Kinnick for a 7:30 p.m. contest on Sept. 22. They will be hungry Badgers, having lost to BYU on Sept. 15 in Mad City.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men's basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been...

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

Iowa defeats UConn, wins 2K Empire Classic

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

Movie about Nile Kinnick hopes to première in namesake stadium

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

3 former Iowa football players present new Hawkeye podcast

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

UI, ISU students likely to see 3 percent tuition hikes for five years, Iowa regents decide

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

UI chef wins $10K and a trip to France in major recipe competition

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

Grassley nominated Senate pro tem, making him third in line for U.S. presidency

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

UI joins program giving free dental care to veterans

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

2018 Midterm Election

Libertarian Party loses official-party status after midterms

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

Local climate advocates push for national carbon tax

• Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14

Iowa gives Northwestern a trip to Indianapolis