Board of Regents considers department closures and additions

Regents+listen+during+the+state+Board+of+Regents+meeting+on+Sept.+12%2C+2018+in+the+IMU+Main+Lounge.+

Katie Goodale

Regents listen during the state Board of Regents meeting on Sept. 12, 2018 in the IMU Main Lounge.

Katie Ann McCarver, News Reporter

The University of Iowa is awaiting approval on a recommendation to terminate the Master of Arts in Urban and Regional Planning in the Graduate College. The degree too closely resembles its Master of Science counterpart, which will remain. All M.A. students have been admitted as M.S. students, so they should see little change.

UIHC recommends removal of Cardiothoracic Surgery

Following a recommendation from UI Health Care, the state Board of Regents is considering removing the Cardiothoracic Surgery Department in the Carver College of Medicine. However, according to regents’ documents, the program will not be completely eliminated; it will be merged into the Surgery Department.

Times have changed since 2005, when the Cardiothoracic Surgery Department was established separate from the more general Surgery Department, the documents state. In addition, the Surgery Department chair already serves as the interim chair of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Ultimately, a merger could reduce administrative costs and improve interaction between medical specialties.

UI proposes Doctor of Education degree

The UI has proposed adding a Doctor of Education degree in the UI College of Education. The degree would function as a method of attainment for students wanting a terminal doctoral degree in upper-level K-20 education.

Not to be confused with the Ph.D., the Ed.D. is based upon a scholar-practitioner model that encourages practicality and problem-based learning. Rather than preparing students for jobs in research or education, the Ed.D. is concentrated in administrative leadership.

Delivered as a hybrid program – that is, in an online and in a classroom setting – the Ed.D. is considered less demanding than the Ph.D, according to regents’ documents, although the two would overlap in core courses. The primary goal of the Ed.D. program would be to equip students for success in a changing world of education.