Epenesa wins Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week

A.J. Epenesa picked up his first weekly conference award after a stellar showing against Iowa State.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa celebrates after making a play during an NCAA football game between Iowa and Wyoming in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa sophomore defensive end A.J. Epenesa demonstrated why he was a 5-star recruit against Iowa State, and he was named Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week. The honor followed his monster performance in the Hawkeyes’ 13-3 win over in-state rival Iowa State.

Epenesa racked up 5 tackles, 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and a pass breakup in the rivalry game, helping to keep the Cy-Hawk Trophy in the Iowa football complex for a fourth-consecutive year.

Epenesa played a key role in limiting the Cyclone offense; the defense surrendered just 19 yards on the ground — the fifth-lowest total since Kirk Ferentz took over as head coach.

Facing one of the best running backs on its schedule, Iowa allowed David Montgomery to only average 2.6 yards a carry, giving up just 44 yards on 17 carries.

Iowa State couldn’t get much going in the passing game, either, gaining just 169 yards through the air.

This marks Epenesa’s first Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week award, which he shares with Minnesota defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr.

Epenesa is the first Hawkeye to win the Big Ten defense award since Josh Jackson on Nov. 13, 2017.