Ranking Kirk Ferentz’s top 10 wins

Ferentz has 143 wins, so narrowing the victories down to a top-10 group was difficult, but The Daily Iowan has you covered.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Joseph Cress

Iowa fans storm the field during the Iowa/Ohio State football game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes in a storming fashion, 55-24. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

1) 2005 Capital One Bowl: Iowa 30, LSU 25
The Catch. A 56-yard strike from Drew Tate to Warren Holloway as time expired for Holloway’s first and only career touchdown to beat the defending national champions. The game was like the ending to a Hollywood flick, only better.

2) 2004: No. 25 Iowa 6, Penn State 4 
In what doesn’t seem to be an obvious situation, Ferentz thought it was, and Iowa decided to take a safety instead of punting out of its end zone. That decision helped the Hawkeyes grind out a win the week after Ferentz’s father died. Ferentz has said his dad was a baseball guy, so the 6-4 score could not have come at a better time.

3) 2010 Orange Bowl: No. 10 Iowa 24, No. 9 Georgia Tech 14
Iowa’s first BCS Bowl win, over the Yellow Jackets, emphasizes a big part of the Hawkeyes’ identity today: a grit-and-grind defensive team. The Hawkeyes used their top-10 defense to stop Georgia Tech’s 10th-ranked triple-option offense.

4) 2017: Iowa 55, No. 6 Ohio State 24
The implications may not have meant a lot, but this game did incredible things for Iowa and its fans. Almost a year later, 55-24 jokes are made and shirts with the score are still worn.

5) 2008: Iowa 24, No. 3 Penn State 23
Iowa beating a top-10 opponent in Kinnick with a game-winning field goal? Sounds familiar. Kicker Daniel Murray ended Penn State’s national-title hopes, hitting a 31-yarder with one second left.

6) 2016: Iowa 14, No. 3 Michigan 13
The Wolverines got out to a 10-point lead in the second quarter, and it seemed as if a predictable Michigan win was inevitable. After 11 unanswered points, the momentum in the stadium shifted. After freshman kicker Keith Duncan knocked through a 33-yard game-winner, you could not see a patch of green on the field as fans stormed it.

7) 2009: Iowa 15, Michigan State 13
After Iowa hit a field goal to break a 6-6 stalemate, the Spartans scored to take the lead with under two minutes to go. Ricky Stanzi came to the rescue and led Iowa to the red zone, then hit Marvin McNutt on a fourth-and-goal slant route as time expired for the walk-off win. Classic.

8) 2001 Alamo Bowl: Iowa 19, Texas Tech 16
Following two losing seasons, a 1-10 record in 1999 and 3-9 in 2000, Ferentz led Iowa to its first winning season since 1997. It was the Hawkeyes’ first bowl win since 1996 and showcased how fast Ferentz could turn things around.

9) 2004: No. 17 Iowa 30, No. 9 Wisconsin 7
Iowa started the year 2-2 and despite injuries and a decimated running game, the Hawkeyes rattled off seven-straight wins, including the regular-season finale over the Badgers to take home a share of the Big Ten title.

10) 2015: No. 4 Iowa 28, Nebraska 20 
This is less about the game itself and more about it being the culmination of a historic season. Iowa went from getting demolished by Tennessee in the Taxslayer Bowl, 45-28, to an undefeated regular season and the cusp of the College Football Playoff.