On The Line: Week One

The Daily Iowan football staff goes head-to-head in the most competitive prediction contest journalism has to offer.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley calls to tight end T.J. Hockensen during the Iowa/Nebraska football game in Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 56-14. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Northern Illinois @ Iowa

Adam Hensley (Pregame Editor): Iowa – Kirk is getting 144. Next.

Pete Ruden (Sports Editor): Iowa- Kirk deserves as much Ben and Jerry’s as he wants after win No. 144.

Anna Kayser (Asst. Sports Editor): Iowa – Let’s hope the vote for an easy non-conference opponent for the opener pays off.

Jordan Zuniga (football reporter): Iowa – Should be a fairly easy game for Iowa, and Kirk should end up with the most wins in Hawkeye football history.

Lucy Rohden (Co-DITV Sports Director): Iowa – In 2012, I flew to Chicago to see the game at Soldier Field, and I deserve some sort of reward for that disaster.

Beau Bowman (Co-DITV Sports Director): Iowa – N-I-U? More like N-I-POO.

Jason Brummond (Publisher): Iowa – Hayden Fry took a chance on a new assistant coach in 1981. I’d say that one worked out.

No. 6 Washington vs. No. 9 Auburn

Hensley: Auburn – It’s 2018. Somewhere, Cam Newton is kicking back, still cashing checks from his Tiger days.

Ruden: Auburn – Bo Jackson is my guy, so I feel obligated. Go Royals.

Kayser: Auburn – A Week 1 Top 10 matchup? Who doesn’t love college football?

Zuniga: Washington – Auburn is good, but Washington’s defense should be better.

Rohden: Auburn – I can vouch that Auburn has the best lemonade in the world, and it deserves to win for that fact alone.

Bowman: Auburn – The movie Balto was really just about a dog trying to get some tail.

Brummond: Washington – New Year’s Day feeling in September.

No. 14 Michigan vs. No. 12 Notre Dame

Hensley: Michigan – Khakis vs. Catholics. Let’s get ready to rumble.

Ruden: Michigan – I feel like this is as bad of a top-15 matchup as you can have.

Kayser: Notre Dame – The Fighting Irish against the Big Blue, a true fight between two of the weirdest fan bases ever.

Zuniga: Michigan – The past few years, it seems like Notre Dame has lost a big early season prime-time game.

Rohden: Michigan – How lucky are we to have a game between the two most overrated teams in college football in Week 1?

Bowman: Michigan – Manti Te’o’s girlfriend was the Mayan calendar’s Playmate of the Year.

Brummond: Notre Dame – Michigan players stop at Chick-fil-A before kickoff. They’re overcome with nervousness.

Louisville vs. No. 1 Alabama

Hensley: Alabama – Family trees can be a little fuzzy in Alabama, but this win won’t be.

Ruden: Alabama – As the defending On the Line champion, I have learned to pick Bama. Especially when it’s a 24-point favorite.

Kayser: Alabama – I’m surprised they haven’t given Alabama an outright bid to the College Football Playoffs yet.

Zuniga: Alabama – The real question is how much will it win by.

Rohden: Alabama – Am I allowed to pick both Alabama and Auburn for these On The Line picks?

Bowman: Alabama – I don’t always talk to Louisville fans, but when I do, I order a McChicken.

Brummond: Alabama – Ferentz is .500 all-time against Saban, which is actually pretty impressive.

No. 8 Miami vs. No. 25 LSU

Hensley: Miami – One time my TA asked the class who listened to 2 Live Crew, and I was the only person to raise a hand.

Ruden: Miami – Anyone know if they sell Turnover Chains on Amazon?

Kayser: Miami – I don’t know why I picked Miami, but here we are.

Zuniga: Miami – The Canes are on their way back to their early 2000s form; the Tigers won’t slow them down.

Rohden: LSU – I feel the same way about the Miami Turnover Chain as Paul Chryst does.

Bowman: Miami – The last time the hurricanes came to Louisiana … it didn’t end well.

Brummond: Miami – Perfect preview for who Alabama and Clemson will beat up later in the year.