Shaw: Trump’s childlike tantrums on Twitter scream obstruction of justice

The Trump-Mueller situation has brought to light the possibility that Trump could be obstructing justice in the investigation.

Presidential nominee Donald Trump gives a speech inside Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds in Davenport on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015.

Sergio Flores

Sergio Flores

Sergio Flores

Nichole Shaw, Opinion Columnist

In recent months, the Trump-Mueller investigation seems to be a consistent headline in the media. Tension between President Trump and Special Counsel Robert Mueller is apparent as the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election progresses, and the public’s focus in the investigation is increasingly drawn to Trump and his Twitter tirades.

America is used to most of his behavior on Twitter by now. Trump’s followers have come to expect his emphatic use of caps lock to scream out his opinions unto the public.

What becomes clear is the rising disdain Trump has for Mueller’s investigation. When the masses read Trump’s ridiculing tweets about anyone participating in or aiding the investigation, this becomes obvious.

It’s amusing to look back on the things Trump has said and realize that much of his targeted shots at others — whether that be the media, Hillary Clinton, the FBI, etc. — are a reflection of his own character. Trump has famously belittled Clinton and called her a “crook,” among other things, regarding her email scandal. What people must remember is that Clinton underwent an investigation with grace, without complaints (and was found not guilty).

Meanwhile, Trump throws immature tantrums on Twitter when anyone questions his authority, power, or opinion. Behavior such as this highlights his cowardice and leads me to believe anyone this defensive is insecure and might be hiding something. If Trump is not guilty of having any involvement with Russian meddling in the 2016 election, why does he continue to teeter dangerously at the edge of obstruction of justice?

According to a politics article in the New York Times, “Mr. Mueller wants to question the president about the tweets. His interest in them is the latest addition to a range of presidential actions he is investigating as a possible obstruction case.”

If intimidation of witnesses and private pressuring of senior officials is found, Trump will have undoubtedly obstructed justice. Twitter provides the perfect starting ground for Mueller because Trump’s tweets are consumed by attempts to interfere or dismiss the Mueller investigation.

According to that same Times article, Trump publicly stated he would have chosen another attorney general had he known Attorney General Jeff Sessions “was going to recuse himself from the Russia investigation” in early March 2017.

You would think that as the president of the United States, he would have a little grace under pressure instead of having almost hysterical outbursts on social media.”

Trump also attempted to privately “persuade Mr. Sessions to reverse that decision. The special counsel’s investigators have also learned that Mr. Trump wanted Mr. Sessions to resign at varying points in May and July 2017 so he could replace him with a loyalist to oversee the Russia investigation.”

Following the hope for Sessions’ resignation, Trump publicly attacked the investigation through “a variety of fronts — tweets, a Rose Garden news conference, and a Wall Street Journal interview — criticizing Mr. Sessions, raising the specter that he would fire him.”

If Trump believes he is innocent, why does he continue to complain in tweets and conferences? You would think that as the president of the United States, he would have a little grace under pressure instead of having almost hysterical outbursts on social media.

Nichole Shaw, Opinion Columnist

Nichole Shaw is an opinion columnist at The Daily Iowan, writing about culture and systemic oppression of different populations....

• Shaw: Trump’s childlike tantrums on Twitter scream obstruction of justice

Baseball

Iowa baseball topples Nebraska, wins fourth-straight Big Ten series

FilmScene and Englert partner to raise more than $6 million together

Students and community members celebrate Native American culture at the 25th UI Powwow

Who’s considering a 2020 run for Dave Loebsack’s seat in Congress?

Library offers summer reading program in 6 languages to increase accessibility

Hawkeye track records fall in trip to California

Baseball

Iowa baseball throttles Nebraska for second win of series

Baseball

Iowa baseball takes Game 1 over Nebraska in walk-off fashion

UI takes step to partner with firm to maintain utility system

Regents approve new policy regarding freedom of expression