Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

Iowa+City+City+Hall+is+seen+on+Tuesday%2C+April+18%2C+2017.+
Iowa City City Hall is seen on Tuesday, April 18, 2017.

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Iowa City voters will mark their ballots on two occasions to elect a new city councilor now that at least three candidates have filed to fill a vacant City Council at-large seat.

Having more than two candidates means the city will hold a primary Sept. 4, with the special election to be held Oct. 2. The outcome of the election will determine who will fill the vacancy left by former Councilor Kingsley Botchway, who resigned in July to accept a position with the Waterloo school system. He was re-elected to the council in November 2017; his second term will end in 2021.

Candidates had until 5 p.m. Aug. 10 to file nomination petitions (with 128 signatures) with the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.

As of 1 p.m. Aug. 10, past Planning and Zoning Commission Chair Ann Freerks, Old Brick Executive Director Brianna Wills, and UI student Ryan Hall had filed.

Voters will use their regular polling places for both the primary and special election. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 4. The top-two candidates will be placed on the ballot in the October special election.

— DI staff

• Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

Iowa defeats UConn, wins 2K Empire Classic

Movie about Nile Kinnick hopes to première in namesake stadium

3 former Iowa football players present new Hawkeye podcast

UI, ISU students likely to see 3 percent tuition hikes for five years, Iowa regents decide

UI chef wins $10K and a trip to France in major recipe competition

Grassley nominated Senate pro tem, making him third in line for U.S. presidency

UI joins program giving free dental care to veterans

2018 Midterm Election

Libertarian Party loses official-party status after midterms

Local climate advocates push for national carbon tax

Iowa gives Northwestern a trip to Indianapolis