Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

Iowa+City+City+Hall+is+seen+on+Tuesday%2C+April+18%2C+2017.+
Iowa City City Hall is seen on Tuesday, April 18, 2017.

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Iowa City voters will mark their ballots on two occasions to elect a new city councilor now that at least three candidates have filed to fill a vacant City Council at-large seat.

Having more than two candidates means the city will hold a primary Sept. 4, with the special election to be held Oct. 2. The outcome of the election will determine who will fill the vacancy left by former Councilor Kingsley Botchway, who resigned in July to accept a position with the Waterloo school system. He was re-elected to the council in November 2017; his second term will end in 2021.

Candidates had until 5 p.m. Aug. 10 to file nomination petitions (with 128 signatures) with the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.

As of 1 p.m. Aug. 10, past Planning and Zoning Commission Chair Ann Freerks, Old Brick Executive Director Brianna Wills, and UI student Ryan Hall had filed.

Voters will use their regular polling places for both the primary and special election. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 4. The top-two candidates will be placed on the ballot in the October special election.

— DI staff

• Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

UI president discusses fraternity suspensions, safety on campus

Less than 2 years after a nearly fatal car accident, UI student runs 24 miles through Grand Canyon

Balanced Hawkeye offense leads Iowa in dominant win over Indiana

Hawkeyes riding Stanley’s hot hand

Hawkeyes thump Hoosiers, 42-16

Halftime reactions – Iowa vs. Indiana

Kelly-Martin out, Fant expected to play vs. Indiana

Hawkeye Nick Easley shares special relationship with brother Matt Easley

Columns

Rosario: ‘Doctors said it was all in my head. I actually had dysautonomia.’

Iowa gubernatorial candidates spar over state budget, Medicaid