Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

Iowa+City+City+Hall+is+seen+on+Tuesday%2C+April+18%2C+2017.+

Iowa City City Hall is seen on Tuesday, April 18, 2017.

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Iowa City voters will mark their ballots on two occasions to elect a new city councilor now that at least three candidates have filed to fill a vacant City Council at-large seat.

Having more than two candidates means the city will hold a primary Sept. 4, with the special election to be held Oct. 2. The outcome of the election will determine who will fill the vacancy left by former Councilor Kingsley Botchway, who resigned in July to accept a position with the Waterloo school system. He was re-elected to the council in November 2017; his second term will end in 2021.

Candidates had until 5 p.m. Aug. 10 to file nomination petitions (with 128 signatures) with the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.

As of 1 p.m. Aug. 10, past Planning and Zoning Commission Chair Ann Freerks, Old Brick Executive Director Brianna Wills, and UI student Ryan Hall had filed.

Voters will use their regular polling places for both the primary and special election. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 4. The top-two candidates will be placed on the ballot in the October special election.

— DI staff

• Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

Iowa at NCAAs

Iowa women advance to Sweet 16 with win over Missouri

Iowa at NCAAs

Iowa’s comeback bid against Tennessee falls short

Iowa at NCAAs

Photos: Iowa women’s basketball NCAA tournament first round vs. Mercer (3/22/19)

Iowa at NCAAs

Hawkeyes reminisce on March Madness memories

Iowa at Big Tens

Hawkeyes prepping for Cincinnati in return to NCAA Tournament

Iowa at NCAAs

Iowa draws 10 seed, faces 7-seed Cincinnati in NCAA Tournament

Iowa at Big Tens

Hensley: Iowa needs more Jordan Bohannon going forward

Iowa at Big Tens

Iowa goes cold from 3 in loss to Michigan

Iowa at Big Tens

Photos: Iowa Big Ten Tournament men’s basketball vs. Michigan (3/15/19)

Iowa at Big Tens

Baer leads Hawkeyes in his last Big Ten Tournament