Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

Iowa+City+City+Hall+is+seen+on+Tuesday%2C+April+18%2C+2017.+

Iowa City City Hall is seen on Tuesday, April 18, 2017.

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Iowa City voters will mark their ballots on two occasions to elect a new city councilor now that at least three candidates have filed to fill a vacant City Council at-large seat.

Having more than two candidates means the city will hold a primary Sept. 4, with the special election to be held Oct. 2. The outcome of the election will determine who will fill the vacancy left by former Councilor Kingsley Botchway, who resigned in July to accept a position with the Waterloo school system. He was re-elected to the council in November 2017; his second term will end in 2021.

Candidates had until 5 p.m. Aug. 10 to file nomination petitions (with 128 signatures) with the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.

As of 1 p.m. Aug. 10, past Planning and Zoning Commission Chair Ann Freerks, Old Brick Executive Director Brianna Wills, and UI student Ryan Hall had filed.

Voters will use their regular polling places for both the primary and special election. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 4. The top-two candidates will be placed on the ballot in the October special election.

— DI staff

• Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

UI student creates prosthetic limb covers

Dedicated chess players bring chess club back to the UI

Cindy Axne appointed to House Agriculture Committee after King’s removal

Shivers: UI focused on supporting underrepresented populations

Beto O’Rourke movement kicks off in Iowa City… without the candidate

New social work scholarship named after 67-year-old recent UI graduate

After consistent budget cuts, Reynolds proposes funding boost for Iowa regent universities

‘The future is now,’ Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds says in Condition of the State

UI grads invent first autonomous training device for football receivers

2019 Iowa legislative session gavels in with focus on bipartisan cooperation