Two Hawkeyes suspended for football season-opener

Alaric Jackson and Cedrick Lattimore will be suspended for the season-opener due to a violation of team rules.

Iowa football helmets line the sidelines during a game against Purdue University on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes 24 to 15. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Make it four Hawkeyes suspended for the season-opening game against Northern Illinois on Sept. 1 in Kinnick.

On Aug. 8, the Iowa football program announced that offensive lineman Alaric Jackson and defensive lineman Cedrick Lattimore were suspended for the Hawkeyes’ opener because of violations of team policy and rules.

“As a coach, one of the most important decisions is to hold student-athletes accountable,” head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a release. “It is painful for the players and the team to impose a suspension, but we have high standards, and there is an expectation [that] all players abide by our rules.”

The release noted that the infractions were not a legal matter. “Violation of team policy or rules can include academic performance, attendance, timeliness, behavior, effort, and engagement … The issues surfaced in late spring, and both players were given guidelines to meet and milestones to achieve over the past 10 weeks.

“Their response has been excellent, and I am very pleased with how they are meeting our expectations,” said Ferentz in a release.

Earlier this offseason, defensive lineman Brady Reiff and offensive lineman Tristan Wirfs were suspended in July for the Northern Illinois game because of alcohol-related offenses.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men's basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been...

• Two Hawkeyes suspended for football season-opener

Football

Iowa football report card: Defensive line

Football

Iowa football report card: Offensive line

Football

Former Hawkeye George Kittle nearly breaks NFL record

Football

Iowa football’s Hockenson named Walter Camp All-American

Football

Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson wins John Mackey Award

Football

Point-counterpoint: Did Noah Fant make the right decision in skipping bowl game?

Football

Iowa linebacker Mends to pursue graduate transfer

Hawkeyes talk Outback Bowl, Noah Fant

Football

Iowa men’s basketball looks to move on after first loss

Hawkeye football headed to Outback Bowl