Hawkeye football​’s Tristan Wirfs charged with OWI

Tristan Wirfs becomes the second football player to be arrested on an alcohol-related charge this offseason.
Iowa+offensive+linemen+Tristian+Wirfs+warms+up+during+a+summer+camp+practice+at+the+outdoor+practice+facility+on+Monday%2C+Aug.+7%2C+2017.+
Joseph Cress
Iowa offensive linemen Tristian Wirfs warms up during a summer camp practice at the outdoor practice facility on Monday, Aug. 7, 2017.

Not quite a week after head coach Kirk Ferentz announced that defensive lineman Brady Reiff would be suspended for the season-opener against Northern Illinois following his being charged with public intoxication, another Hawkeye football player has been arrested on an alcohol-related charge.

Starting offensive lineman Tristan Wirfs was arrested at 1:43 a.m. July 29 at 606 S. Riverside Drive and charged with OWI. Wirfs was taken to the Johnson County Jail and released at 10 a.m.

Last season, Wirfs proved to be a reliable piece in Iowa’s offensive line. As a true freshman, he started the Hawkeyes’ final eight games, appearing in 10. Iowa’s latest depth chart, released in Chicago on July 23, had Wirfs as the No. 1 right tackle.

A suspension seems like a logical move for Ferentz. Reiff, who mistook a parked police car for an Uber and attempted to open a car door on July 21, will sit out on Sept. 1 against Northern Illinois. If Wirfs receives a similar punishment, that means Iowa will likely look to Dalton Ferguson, the No. 2 right tackle (according to the latest depth chart).