Manny Rugamba joins Miami of Ohio

Manny Rugamba announced on July 27 he has decided to join the Miami of Ohio’s football program.

Manny Rugamba joins Miami of Ohio

Manny Rugamba runs toward the sideline during the game between Iowa and Penn State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017. Both teams are going into the game undefeated with records of 3-0. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

Former Hawkeye cornerback Manny Rugamba has found a new home after transferring from the Iowa football program earlier this summer.

The Naperville, Illinois, native announced on July 27 via Twitter that he will join Miami (Ohio) University.

“After really doing a lot of praying and listening, I have finally chosen a school that is best for me,” he said. “I feel that this is the best choice for me, and I am most grateful for the opportunity that has been offered to me. I am excited to announce that I will be continuing my academic and athletic opportunities at Miami University. Thank you to Coach [Chuck] Martin and the whole staff for this opportunity.”

Rugamba burst on the scene as a true freshman in 2016 in Iowa’s upset win over Michigan when he recorded 4 tackles and an interception. After that game, however, his impact on the field diminished, and he was replaced in the starting lineup by the end of the season in 2017.

Rugamba had 36 tackles (31 solo) last season with the Hawkeyes. He defended 4 passes and also recovered a fumble.

Because of transfer rules, Rugamba will sit out the 2018 season, meaning his first game in a Miami uniform will be in 2019. Iowa and Miami will open the 2019 season on Aug. 31, meaning Rugamba’s first game for the Redhawks will be be against his former team.

Facebook Comments