UI deregisters 38 student groups

FILE+-+The+Old+Capitol+is+shown+on+Monday%2C+July+25%2C+2016.+
File/The Daily Iowan
FILE – The Old Capitol is shown on Monday, July 25, 2016.

The University of Iowa has deregistered 38 student organizations following their failure to adhere to university policy.

Student organizations must have the human-rights clause of the UI Community Policies included in their constitutions with its exact wording. The 38 organizations that were deregistered did not submit any documentation to ensure they met UI standards, said Anne Bassett, the UI Strategic Communication media-relations director, in an email to The Daily Iowan. Three additional organizations chose to deregister, she said.

The UI currently has 525 registered student organizations including 54 fraternities and sororities. Bassett noted that 36 fraternity and sorority chapters do not have the UI human-rights clause included in their constitutions or bylaws, but they plan to hold a vote to change that at the beginning of the fall semester.

“It’s important that all [registered student organizations] have up-to-date governing documents that reflect the values and practices of the University of Iowa,” Bassett said in an email to the DI.

The human-rights clause notes that 80 percent of members must be UI students, and it guarantee equal opportunity and equal access to membership, programming, facilities, and benefits.

“When a voluntary student organization chooses to become a registered student organization, it must adhere to the mission of the University of Iowa, the UI’s policies and procedures, and all local, state, and federal laws,” Bassett said in an email to the DI.

This comes after a federal judge ruled that the UI enforced its human-rights policy unequally after deregistering a religious-based student organization, Business Leaders in Christ. The group will remain registered with the UI while it is involved in litigation. The UI initially deregistered the organization in December 2017 following findings of discrimination against a gay member.

RELATED: Business Leaders in Christ reinstated on campus after discrimination complaint

— Emily Wangen