Iowa football’s Anthony Nelson named to Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List

The Hawkeye defensive end was named to another trophy watch list.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S
Iowa defensive end Anthony Nelson celebrates during the game between Iowa and North Texas at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017. The Hawkeyes went on to defeat the Mean Green 31-14. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

CHICAGO ​— Another member of the Hawkeye football program made a trophy watch list.

Defensive end Anthony Nelson was named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List on Tuesday. The award goes to the nation’s best defensive player.

In 2017, Nelson tallied 41 tackles (21 solo), 9.5 tackles for a loss, 7.5 sacks (5 sacks in his first five games), and defended 5 passes. He also forced 2 fumbles. His sack totals were a team-high and career-high mark.

Arguably the best game for Nelson in 2017 came in Iowa’s loss to Penn State on Sept. 23. The Urbandale native had 5 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, and defended 2 passes.

This isn’t the first preseason accolade for Nelson. Earlier, Nelson was selected as a candidate for the Lott IMPACT Trophy and was named to the Bednarik Award watch list. Nelson is also a member of Iowa’s 2018 Leadership Group.

The winner of the Bronko Nagurski Award will be named on Dec. 3 in Charlotte, North Carolina.