Noah Fant earns Big Ten preseason honors

Noah Fant’s preseason accolades didn’t stop after being named to the John Mackey Award Watch List.
Iowa’s Noah Fant scores a touchdown during the game between Iowa and North Texas at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday Sept. 16, 2017. Iowa won 31-14. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Days after being named to the John Mackey Award Watch List, Hawkeye football’s Noah Fant was named to the Big Ten preseason honors list.

That list contains 10 athletes, five from each the East and West Divisions.

Rashan Gary (defensive lineman, Michigan), Brian Lewerke (quarterback Michigan State), Nick Bosa (defensive end, Ohio State), J.K. Dobbins (running back, Ohio State), Trace McSorley (quarterback, Penn State), Stanley Morgan (wide receiver, Nebraska), Paddy Fisher (linebacker, Northwestern), TJ Edwards (linebacker, Wisconsin), and Jonathan Taylor (running back, Wisconsin), joined Fant on the list.

In 2017, Fant hauled in 30 receptions for 494 yards, and he scored 11 touchdowns ​— a nation-leading mark and the single-season record by an Iowa tight end.

In the past five seasons, six Hawkeyes have made the preseason honors list: Fant, Josey Jewell, CJ Beathard, Desmond King, Drew Ott, and Brandon Scherff.

Fant and the Hawkeyes will open the season on Sept. 1 against Northern Illinois in Kinnick.