Woods: Are dog parks healthy for humans?

We should pay attention to our dogs and the nature around us if we want to address our well-being when at the dog park.

Dogs and their owners compete during a cyclocross race at Jinglecross on the Johnson County fairgrounds on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. Sunday began with a kids events, a speedo race and a dog race followed by the women's and men's UCI world cup races. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Caroline Woods, [email protected]

Are dog parks healthy for humans?

Recently, I was at the dog park and started chatting with a city employee about the benefits of dog parks. She said something I can relate to: “If only people knew how beneficial dog parks are to our community’s health.”

My passion is exploring how animals and nature can reduce people’s stress levels and promote our well-being. We know that decreasing stress and increasing mindfulness improve our health, and I want to believe that dog parks can help us derive these benefits if we can pay attention to what we are doing with ourselves and our dogs while in a dog park.

One example is, the Dog Commons hiking area located near Minneapolis. It is a nature-based therapeutic resource that offers on-leash trails to walk dogs. The purpose is to “discover opportunities for physical activity, education, socialization, and emotional restoration” and to promote a “mindful and restorative experience that benefits health and well-being for humans and pets.”

So although it seems counterintuitive, there is concern that dog parks can have some negative effects on our health. Various factors such as being on the phone texting or talking, instead of paying attention to our dogs and enjoying some peaceful time, might increase our inability to practice mindfulness. This puts both us and our dogs at greater risk for injury. A web search showed numerous articles related to how to best enjoy dog parks, reduce injury, and increase the well-being for both you and your dog.

Jaymi Heimbuch for Mother Nature Network reports on “15 Things Humans Do Wrong at Dog Parks” and says, “Dog parks are supposed to be fun — but often they’re not”. She writes that dog owners can end up “spending more time looking at a smartphone screen than at the dogs.” If this is the case, then you are not getting the healthy benefits from being at the dog park — instead, you are feeding your addiction to your digital device and are not practicing mindfulness.

It makes sense that if you are off your phone, both you and your dog will receive the most positive health benefits. To complement this, WebMD emphasizes the importance of learning more about being safe at a dog park.

It would be cool to study stress and mindfulness levels of people who are at a dog park, along with looking at injury rates that occur at a dog park. Thankfully, when I have discussed this with other people at the dog park, I usually receive a positive response and encouraging words. So, perhaps someday we can refer to many more evidence-based studies on “dog parks out there.” Then we can use the research to promote the healthiest ways for humans and their animals to use dog parks.

• Woods: Are dog parks healthy for humans?

Columns

Kumar: Thankful for voter turnout

Columns

Jaimes: Two women made history Nov. 6; only one received national attention for it.

Columns

Elliot: All politics is loco, according to Plato

Columns

Shaw: California burns with Trump’s insensitivity

Columns

Helton: Does civility in politics even matter anymore?

Columns

Newby: Off-campus living pushes poverty statistics higher

Columns

Rosario: The Iowa GOP has become complicit with racism, xenophobia

Columns

Jaimes: SNAP benefits fail to meet needs of recipients

Columns

Yerington: How to lessen hate speech on campus

Columns

Laursen: Sessions resigned, and the left is mad?