Shaw: Trump’s meeting with Kim Jong Un, while historic, gave North Korea undeserved credibility

Trump’s meeting with Kim Jong Un is historic and admirable on accounts of denuclearization talk. However, supplementing credibility to a heinous leader may not be the most ideal.
TNS
Undated photo from North Korean News Agency shows North Korean leader Kim Jong-un visiting a Korean People's Army unit, in an undisclosed location, North Korea. Photo released August 2017. (Balkis Press/Abaca Press/TNS)

Norwegian lawmakers Christian Tybring-Gjedde and Per-Willy Amundsen nominated Trump for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his historic meeting with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. The meeting occurred this past Tuesday and was a legendary step toward the denuclearization of North Korea. However, while the event was admirable in the fact that it marked the first time ever a sitting president met with a North Korean leader, it poses an issue. While the meeting between these two leaders was legendary, historic, and even admirable in the hopes to attain world peace, it also poses an issue in providing autocratic legitimacy of the offensive reign of Kim Jong Un. Trump meeting with Kim Jong Un could be seen as a step toward legitimizing the reign of North Korea’s long withstanding dictatorship.

This concern is not recognized by few. Trump himself said in an interview with “Fox and Friends” on the White House lawn, “I went there, I gave him credibility. I think it’s great to give him credibility.” Statements such as these are alarming in their acceptance of a nation’s leader whose widely known reputation is distasteful especially after Kim’s suspected involvement in various murders and grotesque human rights violations. Giving someone of this immoral status prideful recognition from the world’s superpower, the U.S., is nauseatingly repugnant. Yes, meeting with Kim Jong Un to discuss peace and denuclearization is great. However, at what cost to our humanity? Knowing an abhorrent leader, such as Kim, has been praised by Trump is a concerning notion, considering we are a country that prides itself on its core belief of freedom.

Kim has been demonized in the media for years. So, what makes him such a bad guy? For starters, he had his uncle executed on Dec. 12, 2013, for an alleged military coup that tried to take over North Korea. Then, in February 2017, Kim Jong Un’s half-brother Kim Jong Nam was killed after being poisoned in a Kuala Lumpur airport. Malaysian officials and police directly accused the North Korean government after a thorough investigation. And don’t forget the countless years of human-rights violations, which according a 2014 U.N. Commission of Inquiry reports, “The government committed gross, systematic, and widespread rights abuses, including extermination, murder, enslavement, torture, imprisonment, rape, forced abortions, and other sexual violence. North Korea operates secretive prison camps … Fear of collective punishment is used to silence dissent.” Can you see how giving credibility to someone who condones this type of vile behavior and furthermore praise him could be harmful? An ego boost to a regime that terrorizes its people doesn’t sound like the right choice of action.