Hawkeye basketball benefiting from NBA hopefuls

Tyler Cook and Isaiah Moss are back for Hawkeye basketball, but what does that mean for the Iowa team?
David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan
Iowa forward Tyler Cook reacts after the final buzzer against Indiana University at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018. The Hoosiers defeated the Hawkeyes 84 to 82. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

After testing the NBA Draft this past spring, juniors Isaiah Moss and Tyler Cook should bring experience and improvement to the court in the upcoming Iowa basketball season.

Moss and Cook entered the draft process without signing agents, but they have said they are eager to help the Hawkeyes reach the NCAA Tournament.

“The feedback I received from NBA personnel was extremely beneficial in making this decision while also helping me grow as a basketball player,” Moss said. “I am excited to continue my education and train with my teammates, so we can have a great season.”

Cook said talking to NBA executives and working out for teams was a positive experience.

“I am grateful for the opportunities and feedback that I have received from NBA personnel,” he said. “I am thankful for Coach McCaffery and the coaching staff for their assistance and patience with me during this process.”

In his sophomore year, Cook averaged a team-leading 15.3 points a game, improving 3 points per from his freshman year. He also led the team in field goals and became the first Iowa sophomore since 1995 to score 500 points in a season.

Moss, Cook, sophomore center Luka Garza, and junior guard Jordan Bohannon are the only four Hawkeyes who averaged double figures in scoring last season. Iowa was the third-highest scoring team in the Big Ten.

A disappointing finish to last season gives players an opportunity to get better. Head coach Fran McCaffery hopes to see Cook, who averaged a team high in turnovers, improve on his individual skills so that he is ready to lead the team and take his game to the next level.

Other than Bohannon and Garza, Moss and Cook have the third- and fourth-best offensive efficiency on the team. This summer, Cook wants to gain a more consistent outsider jumper, which he lacked while working out for NBA clubs.

Adding a 3-point shot to his arsenal should help space the court, giving Iowa possibilities from deep from all positions.

Going into next year, the biggest team improvement should be on the defensive side of the ball. Last season, the Hawkeyes allowed a Big Ten-high 78.7 points per game. Cook acknowledged that during the team’s teleconference just a few days after returning.

“For us, attention on the defensive end [is most important] and making sure everyone is locked in and ready to go,” Cook said.

Since going through the NBA Draft process, Moss and Cook now know what they have to do individually and as a team to have success and impress scouts throughout the season. This should give them the determination to have a successful season.