Tyler Cook returns to Iowa for junior season

Iowa basketball will get its leading scorer back for another year.
The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al
Iowa forward Tyler Cook (5) celebrates a dunk during the NCAA men’s basketball game between Iowa and Wisconsin at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018. The Hawkeyes are going into the game with a conference record of 1-7. Iowa went on to defeat Wisconsin 85-67. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Having declared for the NBA Draft without hiring an agent, on May 30, Iowa forward Tyler Cook announced that he will return for his junior season with the Hawkeyes.

Cook was a catalyst for a sometimes stagnant offense last year, leading the team with 15.3 points per game to go with 6.8 rebounds. His efficiency was also a big help to the Hawkeyes, shooting 56.6 percent from the field to lead the squad.

With Cook back in the mix, Iowa’s offensive production will surely be boosted.

“I am excited to return to Iowa for my junior season,” Cook said in a release. “I am grateful for the opportunities and feedback that I have received from NBA personnel. I am thankful for Coach McCaffery and the coaching staff for their assistance and patience with me during this process. I thank God for the experiences that I had and progress I have made during this time. I can’t wait to get back to work and continue to try to lead this team back to the NCAA Tournament. I appreciate the love and support by all during this process.”

Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery thinks the experience and knowledge Cook gained throughout the draft process will help his star forward in the future.

“We are happy to have Tyler back for his junior season,” McCaffery said in a release. “We encouraged Tyler to take advantage of this process and take as long as he needed and I’m proud of how he went through this process. Tyler did well in his workouts and interviews, which will bode well for him next year when he goes through the process again. He has had a significant impact on our basketball team the past two seasons and we look forward to Tyler improving his overall skill set and being a leader for us next season.”

Cook earned honorable mention All-Big Ten for the 2017-18 season in which he recorded a career-high 29 points against UAB in November 2017.

The St. Louis native also had a stellar freshman campaign for the Hawkeyes, being named to the All-Big Ten Freshman Team with Iowa point guard Jordan Bohannon.

Cook’s return gives the Hawkeyes plenty of options on the offensive end and takes pressure off Bohannon, Luka Garza, and Isaiah Moss. Cook’s announcement puts him on the same track as Moss, who, Iowa has announced, will also return for his junior season after declaring for the draft.