Regents to decide on tuition rates, state-funding allocations

Regents+listen+to+a+presentation+during+a+state+Board+of+Regents+meeting+in+the+IMU+main+lounge+on+Thursday%2C+Sept.+7%2C+2017.+
Lily Smith
Regents listen to a presentation during a state Board of Regents meeting in the IMU main lounge on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017.

The state Board of Regents will set tuition and financial-aid funding at its meeting next week.

Tuition Rates

After delaying a discussion on tuition rates months later than the usual timetable, the state Board of Regents will decide on tuition increases for the 2018-19 academic year on June 7 in Cedar Falls.

The new rates were read during an April meeting in Council Bluffs; they would include a 3.8 percent increase for residents and 2.1 percent increase for nonresident undergraduate students, for a base total of $7,770 and $29,736, respectively. Graduate students would also see a tuition increase.

Student-government leaders from each of the regent universities — Iowa State University, the University of Iowa, and the University of Northern Iowa — as well as some regents themselves, expressed concern about the rising tuition and its potential effect on students.

RELATED: Iowa regents plan to keep tuition hikes under 4 percent

Allocation of state funding

The regents received $8.3 million of the $12 million they had requested in financial aid for undergraduate students at Iowa’s three public universities, set by the state Legislature and Gov. Kim Reynolds for fiscal 2019. The regents will decide on the allocation of the funds during their meeting next week.

Although midyear cuts only affected the UI and ISU, UNI would receive just under 25 percent of the funding, $2 million, and the remainder will be allocated to the UI and ISU at $3.15 million each.

RELATED: Regents to request $12 million to fund financial aid for Iowa resident undergrads

Changes to tuition rates for nonresident part-time students

The regents will also have a first and final reading of a proposed changeto nonresident part-time tuition rates.

Under current regent policy, tuition rates are identical for up to four credits per term.

The proposed change would have nonresident students taking four or fewer semester hours assessed anywhere from the resident rate to corresponding nonresident/international tuition rates. Each institution would decide the rates.

Read the full agenda here.

— Emily Wangen