Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder high fives guard Tania Davis during the Iowa/Quinnipiac basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Nov. 10, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Bobcats, 83-67, for Bluder's 700 career win. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

Coming into the season, the Iowa women’s basketball team had seen two Marchs come and go without being invited to the NCAA Tournament.

It was the first time in Lisa Bluder’s tenure that she had missed out on the Big Dance two years in a row, and she did not want to turn that into three.

At the end of the regular season, Bluder and Company had racked up 24 wins to just 7 losses, making it an easy decision for the selection committee to put the Hawkeyes in.

But Bluder has led teams to the tournament before. What made it special were the trials the coach had to deal with to get her team to the tournament, and that is why she has been selected as The Daily Iowan’s Coach of the Year.

RELATED: Iowa women’s basketball pushed by Bluder’s passion

One thing that made it hard on this team from the get-go was its size. Bluder only had 11 players to work with, two of them freshmen, and one of those freshmen was a walk-on, which meant Bluder had to take extra care that her best players both had enough floor time to help the team and enough rest so as not to burn them out in the beginning of the season.

All seemed fine out of the gate, as the Hawkeyes won their first seven games before losing to then-No. 13 Florida State in a nail-bitter before going on to winning another seven in a row.

That’s when disaster hit. The injury bug struck with the ferocity of a boxer’s l-2 combo; first Tania Davis was lost for the season with a torn ACL, then Makenzie Meyer broke her hand, sidelining her for a few weeks.

To complicate matters more, this happened right at the beginning of Big Ten play and the effect was noticeable.

After the loss of their two starters, the Hawkeyes stumbled through January, going a dismal 2-5.

With a stretch like that — in the middle of the season and having lost one of the starters for the year, with another coming back from injury — it would’ve been easy to start singing about next year.

That is not the mentality Bluder possesses, and that showed in her team.

Determined to make it, despite being a team with only 10 active players (two of whom had almost no college experience) Iowa battled back.

Iowa rebounded from its rough January to win all seven of its games in February, which coined the term “fabulous February.”

While March wasn’t as great as the Hawkeyes might have hoped — they went 1-2, losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament — it certainly was an accomplishment with how small this team was.

The success of this season may have been an accomplishment in and of itself for Bluder, but she also had some personal accolades this year as well.

Iowa’s first win of the season also marked Bluder’s 700th victory as a head coach, making her one of the winningest coaches amongst active women’s basketball coaches.

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

Twitter: @j_zuni

Jordan Zuniga is a sports reporter at The Daily Iowan covering football. This is Zuniga’s second year with the DI where he has covered a variety of sports such as: women’s basketball, golf, women’s soccer, baseball, track and field, softball, and men’s basketball.

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Multimedia

Photos: Soccer vs. Northwestern (10/21/18)

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Football

Hawkeye offense shines against Terrapins

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Football

Hensley: The next two games will be critical for Iowa football

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Sports

No. 3 Minnesota, No. 9 Wisconsin sweep Iowa volleyball

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Football

Report Card: How did the Hawkeyes do against the Terrapins?

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Soccer

Iowa soccer draws with Northwestern to end season

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

men's golf

Hawkeye men’s golf heads to greens in Texas

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Cross Country

Iowa cross-country women close out final regular-season meet

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Field Hockey

Iowa field hockey falls in regular-season finale

• Bluder: DI’s Coach of the Year

Iowa runs all over Maryland in Homecoming win