Iowa softball upsets Ohio State in Big Ten Tournament

Allison Doocy led the charge on the mound on May 10, as the Hawkeyes moved on to the second round of the conference tournament.

Iowa starting pitcher Alison Doocy delivers a pitch during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

For the first time since 2015, Iowa softball collected a Big Ten Tournament win on May 10, knocking off No. 5 seed Ohio State, 5-1.

Sophomore Allison Doocy sat down 3 in the first inning on strikeouts, but not without damage. Lilli Piper, Ohio State’s .400-plus hitter, sent a home run over the center field wall for what turned out to be the Buckeye’s lone run.

“That’s what Piper does,” Iowa head coach Marla Looper said.

To start off the third inning for the Hawkeyes, senior Daniella Ibarra — in only her 71st at-bat of the year — roped a line drive up the middle for a single and Iowa’s first hit.

A groundball fielder’s choice took Ibarra off the bases, leaving speedy left fielder Cheyenne Pratt on first. A swipe of second base and a walk to first baseman Mallory Kilian put two on, one in scoring position, with senior center fielder Allie Wood at the plate.

With a soft groundout to the pitcher, Wood moved both runners up. Pratt then scored from third on a passed ball. The Iowa threat ended on a close call at first base on a groundout by Angela Schmiederer, and the score sat tied going into the bottom of the inning.

With one out and two on, a four-pitch walk to Piper loaded the bases. Doocy held her composure in the jam, recording two-straight strikeouts to end the third.

Both teams put runners on the bases, but because of peak pitching in jams, neither side was able to bring a run in.

Fast forward to the top of the seventh, with both team still tied at 1.

Coming off the bench, sophomore Lea Thompson beat out an infield single. A bunt by Ibarra followed by a wild pitch put two Hawkeyes in scoring position. A wild pitch then scored Thompson, giving Iowa its first lead of the night at 2-1.

Two outs later and a walk to Schmiederer, the Hawkeyes threatened again. Another wild pitch and a single by sophomore Taylor Libby extended the lead, 4-1. Following another single, the Hawkeyes led, 5-1, going into the bottom of the seventh.

The first two Buckeye batters reached in the final half-inning, but with two outs and the bases loaded, Doocy recorded her 15th strikeout of the night to close out the game.

In Doocy’s postgame interview, the entire team was behind her celebrating the win.

“Ultimately, it’s a team game,” Looper said. “Yes, Doocy’s in the circle, she had 15 strikeouts, and she gets the interview, but we let the team back there because it’s a team win. You win and lose as a team, and tonight we got the W.”

Doocy’s performance was a gem for the Hawkeyes, with the lone blemish coming from the first inning homer. However, the team strategy changed to account for Piper’s power.

“She didn’t get to see many pitches after that,” Looper said, referring to Piper’s two four-pitch walks.

With the win, Iowa advanced to the second round of the Big Ten Tournament to play fourth-seeded Northwestern at 7 p.m. May 11. The Hawkeyes took a game off of the Wildcats in Evanston, 3-0, on April 28.

A member of the grounds crew prepares the field before Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
The Iowa softball team warms up before Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
The Goodman Softball Complex is seen during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa's Allison Doocy delivers a pitch during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Ohio State's Becca Gavin makes contact during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Ohio State celebrates as short stop Lilli Piper crosses home plate after hitting a home run during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Ohio State's Shelby McCombs delivers a pitch during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa short stop Aralee Bogar is thrown out at first during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa's Daniella Ibarra dives back to first during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa Right Fielder McKenzie Schneider makes a throw from the outfield during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa's Aralee Bogar prepares to receive a throw at second during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Fans prepare for rain during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Ohio State's Amy Balich receives a throw at second base during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa's Lea Thompson checks her swing during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa head coach Marla Looper makes a roster move during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa'sLea Thompson celebrates after scoring a run in the seventh inning of Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
The Ohio State dugout wears encourages their teammates during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Ohio State's Shelby McCombs swings and misses during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Iowa fans cheer on the team during Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
The Hawkeyes celebrate their victory after Iowa’s Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State at the Goodman Softball complex in Madison, WI. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 5-1. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye volleyball and softball.

• Iowa softball upsets Ohio State in Big Ten Tournament

Softball

Iowa softball has been revamped thanks to a partially new coaching staff

Softball

Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Softball coaches bring unique talents to Iowa

Softball

Hawkeye softball eyes revival under Gillispie’s helm

Rick Dillinger named assistant softball coach

Softball

Softball announces fall schedule

Softball

New coaches, new faces, new stats for softball

Softball

Potential for change brightens softball future

Softball

Biggest areas of improvement for Iowa softball

Softball

Softball tabs Gillispie as new head coach