UI placed second in the Big Ten in RecycleMania 2018

George McCrory of the Sustainability program at Iowa places a leaf on one of the branches. Leaves mark a pledge for an indidivual to do their part improving their recycling habit, in the Sustainability Office in Iowa City, Iowa on Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2017. Recylemania is an national competition which encourages universities to promote and take action in recycling. (The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez)

Anthony Vazquez

Anthony Vazquez

This winter/spring, the University of Iowa has taken part in RecycleMania, a national competition encouraging colleges in the United States and Canada to promote recycling and minimize their waste production. The UI placed second in the Big Ten and 37th among the more than 300 colleges that participated.

The College of Staten Island placed first. Rutgers placed first in the Big Ten.

During the competition, the UI diverted 49 percent of its waste from the landfill through recycling and composting, according to a press release from the UI Office of Sustainability. The competition took place Feb. 4 through March 31.

Events to promote recycling and composting included a recycling pledge drive, a reusable mug giveaway, and a waste audit. More than 1,500 students, faculty, and staff participated.

“Each week, random winners were awarded gift cards and reusable mugs,” the release said. “Buildings and residence halls with the most participants each week won RecycleMania trophies.”

The UI placed second in the Big Ten during RecycleMania 2016. The waste-diversion rate was slightly up from 46 percent in 2016, the release said.

“RecycleMania has become a great tool to help spread recycling awareness and improve implementation of recycling programs on campus,” the release said.

The UI aims to reach a goal of 60 percent waste diversion by 2020 through RecycleMania and other programs on campus.

— Aadit Tambe

• UI placed second in the Big Ten in RecycleMania 2018

The roots for students to flourish: After 50 years, Afro House remains necessary

Hawkeye football superfans show front row pride

UI facilities assess, prepare for climate change

USA Today names the UI as a university where ‘applications are on the rise’

Nite Ride improves service with new advancements

Updated approval process makes it easier to use drones on campus

UI’s tobacco ban difficult to enforce as students continue to smoke on campus

Homecoming Council strives for inclusivity through new initiatives

Second of 4 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidates holds forum

UI Gardeners group seeks donors in light of budget cuts