Iowa City and Coralville public libraries partner with Kanopy to make video streaming possible

Joseph McKenna stands in the fiction section of the Iowa City Public Library earlier this year. The library was established in 1896. (The Daily Iowan/Olivia Sun)

As a part of their initiative to make services more accessible to community members, the Iowa City and Coralville Public Libraries announced that area residents will now be able to stream video content online.

Residents of Johnson County cities — including Iowa City, Coralville, Hills, Lone Tree, and University Heights — can use the service.

Kanopy, a free video-streaming service, has partnered with the two public libraries to make the service available.

The video platform has more than 30,000 films including documentaries, independent films, classics, international movies, and educational videos, said a media release from the Iowa City Public Library.

Users can stream eight movies a month, create watch lists, share films on social media, among other services, the release said. Kanopy is available on iOS, Android, and Roku platforms.

Users will have to create a login for the website and then add their library cards to activate the service.

— Aadit Tambe

• Iowa City and Coralville public libraries partner with Kanopy to make video streaming possible

Downtown

Is Iowa City’s Ped Mall worthy of national landmark status?

Downtown

Big Grove executive chef named Iowa Restaurateur of the Year

Crime/Courts

Iowa City police request bids for cell phone-mapping software

Downtown

Design, safety contribute to Harrison Street Parking Facility award

Downtown

Gateway Project put to the test during recent flooding

Downtown

The Makers Loft is Iowa City’s latest spot for homegrown arts and crafts

Downtown

Public art is the focus of two local programs

Downtown

Cyclo-Cross World Cup concludes a drizzly third-annual Iowa City event

Crime/Courts

Police continuing fall patrols for ‘out-of-control’ parties

Downtown

New bus service connects Iowa City and Cedar Rapids