Hancher unveils 2018-19 lineup, including Broadway’s Les Misérables

Hancher+Auditorium+in+Iowa+City+on+Thursday%2C+Nov.+2%2C+2017.+
David Harmantas
Hancher Auditorium in Iowa City on Thursday, Nov. 2, 2017.

Hancher Auditorium unveiled its lineup for the 2018-19 season, cultivating acts from world-renowned musicals to lectures by legendary journalists.

The lineup includes musical acts from Kristin Chenoweth on New Year’s Eve, Tre Voci, and the Philadelphia Orchestra. On the theatrical side of the coin, Cameron Mackintosh will present his version of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables and the Jersey Boys will grace the stage with their satin voices in February.

The season will also include two events that are free and open to the public: a lecture by journalist Cokie Roberts and a performance on the Hancher lawn by bluegrass group Steep Canyon Rangers.

Hancher has quickly become Iowa City’s hub for large-scale entertainment – since reopening in 2016 after the floods of 2008, the venue – and its sizable stage – have held the likes of comedian Steve Martin to virtuoso cellist Yo-Yo Ma and every act in between: the 2018-19 season will continue this trend.

Other events include the circus troupe Cirque Éloize, dance company Momix, and American Ballet Theatre.

For more information, visit https://hancher.uiowa.edu/2018-19

-Charles Peckman