City Council incorporates live streaming into meeting, while focusing on local construction

The Iowa City City Council discusses council business during a meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2017. the council unanimously passed a measure making rent abatement easier in situations where landlords violate housing code. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

City Council launches Facebook live stream  of meeting

The Iowa City City Council introduced a Facebook live of the council meeting on Tuesday night.

“I hope that as you leave, talk to friends, family members, and other community members to get the word out,” Councilor Kingsley Botchway said. “I think this will be a truly innovative step forward.”

The Facebook live can be watched on the city government Facebook page.

Prairie Du Chien Road trailer park up for discussion for rezoning

The City Council has moved a public hearing to May 15 that would consider rezoning 1705 Prairie Du Chien Road from a high-density single-family zone to a low-density multifamily zone. In this process, the city would assist in relocating residents. The property owner spoke at meeting, saying the property’s time was up and was not feasible to afford anymore.

City approves commercial structures on Pedestrian Mall

The City Council passed an ordinance Tuesday that would allow businesses downtown to have commercial structures on the Pedestrian Mall, such as a tent or other temporary structure, for more than 45 days because of construction in the area this year and the next. Previously, businesses could have a temporary structure for no more than 45 days. The move will allow more long-term temporary structures to assist businesses affected by construction.

Reconstruction on the Ped Mall project is underway. In the next two years, the Ped Mall will see new paving, new green areas, and new art.

-DI Staff