Kentucky football lands Ahmad Wagner

A former Hawkeye basketball player will begin his football career at a new school.
Iowa’s Ahmad Wagner drives the baseline during a game against Chicago State University on Friday, 10. Nov, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cougars 95-62. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Ahmad Wagner announced on Tuesday that he would fulfill his football dreams at Kentucky.

Wagner played basketball at Iowa for the past three seasons. Last year, the Ohio native averaged 1.7 points and 1.7 rebounds per game — a drop-off in statistical production from the season before, when he averaged 4.8 points and 3.4 boards.

Wagner’s minutes dropped after his sophomore campaign, in which he averaged 16 per game. Last season, he averaged 9.1.

In his one season of high-school football, Wagner had 1,028 receiving yards and scored 17 touchdowns. The four-star receiver had interest from numerous schools for football, including an offer from Kentucky, but instead pursued basketball at Iowa.

In March, Wagner announced that he would no longer be a part of the basketball program at Iowa, but he did not rule out playing football for the Black and Gold, sparking speculation that he could be on head coach Kirk Ferentz’s squad come the fall. Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz even reached out to Wagner.

Wagner will have to sit out a year, because of transfer rules, but he will be eligible to play the following year in Lexington — his last year of college eligibility.