University of Iowa golf takes 3rd at Big Tens

Iowa%27s+Alex+Schaake+drives+during+a+tournament+at+the+Donald+Ross+Course+at+the+Cedar+Rapids+Country+Club+in+Cedar+Rapids+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+19%2C+2017.+

Iowa's Alex Schaake drives during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017.

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

The Iowa men’s golf season may not be over yet after a strong outing at the Big Ten Championships this past weekend. Heading into the weekend, the Hawkeyes appeared to be on the bubble of reaching their 10th-straight NCAA regional.

Iowa knew it needed a strong outing this past weekend in order to make its case to the selection committee. And after a three-round score of 857 (17-over) and a third-place finish in the Big Ten Championships, it seems as if the Hawkeyes have put themselves in good position to make the tournament.

RELATED: Hawkeye golf takes on Big Ten field

Individually, it wasn’t the normal faces of Alex Schaake and Matthew Walker leading the Hawkeyes. Instead, Benton Weinberg posted a solid 54-hole score of 213 (3-over) to snare eighth place.

Behind him was Alex Moorman, who shot 215 to put him in 15th with Schaake right behind him with a 216 score and 18th place.

Iowa’s third-place finish is pretty spectacular after a rough first day after which it thudded into in sixth place. A strong performance by Moorman propelled the Hawkeyes into a tie for third after the second day.

“We were looking for someone to shoot a low number, and Moorman stepped up with a bogey-free 66,” head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “Everyone improved from yesterday, and that’s what we needed. We moved up three spots and got ourselves into the last group.”

Now, it’s a waiting game for the Hawkeyes; their fate is in the hands of the NCAA selection committee.

The committee’s decision will be announced May 2 on the Golf Channel.