Letters to the Editor: Support for Pat Heiden, Zach Wahls

The primary election will take place June 5 for both the Johnson County Board of Supervisors race and Senate District 37.

Pat Heiden

All voters in Johnson County should participate in the upcoming primary for the Board of Supervisors. Voting begins early on May 7 and ends on Election Day, June 5. The supervisors, with an annual budget of $120 million, affect every household in the county.

We encourage you to vote for Pat Heiden, a uniquely qualified candidate. We are fortunate that Pat wants to serve. She has spent her life involved in community service. Please see details of her extensive involvement on her website, Pat Heiden for Supervisor.

RELATED: Heiden joins supervisor race

We have worked directly with Pat and been in awe of her abilities. We saw her as executive director of a large operation, Oaknoll, where she successfully managed fiscal responsibility along with attention to small detail. She listens, she brings all parties to the table, she does her research, she thoughtfully makes decisions that she then clearly defines. Pat is a team builder, she encourages dialogue, and she brings energy and enthusiasm to everything she tackles. Pat always sees the big picture as well as the steps it takes to bring a project from an idea to a reality.

Our support for Pat Heiden is without reservation.

— Kathryn and Pete Wallace

Iowa City

RELATED: Zach Wahls talks LGBTQ activism campaign during visit to UI

Zach Wahls

The choice in the Democratic primary for Senate District 37 on June 5 is not an easy one. We have strong candidates with numerous varied strengths. I am writing to express my support for Zach Wahls. Zach’s passion, intelligence, and dedication to issues such as mental health, social justice, and supporting children and families with disabilities are, frankly, inspiring. I hope, prior to deciding how to cast your vote, you take an opportunity to meet Zach and discuss issues important to you. Zach is an inspirational leader with a broad knowledge base and a passion for intelligent and effective governance. He meets people where they are at and actively listens to understand different perspectives. These qualities will help make Zach not just an inspirational leader, but an effective legislator. We need effective government in Des Moines. I believe Zach, much like retiring Sen. Bob Dvorsky, will be able to reach across the aisle and find common ground with Republicans to move forward on issues affecting all Iowans, regardless of political persuasion. Zach will fight to ensure access to health care, including mental-health care (especially in rural parts of the state), for funding our K-12 schools, our regent institutions and our community colleges, will work to restore the rights of workers that were cruelly stripped last year, and will strive with leaders of all stripes to find solutions for intelligent gun-safety laws that make sense for Iowans. Please consider voting for Zach on or before June 5.

— J.P. Claussen

Coralville