Iowa ends Michigan’s 20-game winning streak

The Hawkeyes used an impressive pitching performance and a loud crowd to their advantage to pick up a win over one of the country\’s hottest teams.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Megan
Nick Allgeyer pitches during Iowa’s game against Michigan at Banks Field on April 27, 2018. The Hawkeyes won the game, 4-2. (Megan Nagorzanski/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa baseball played the role of streak-breaker on Friday. The Hawkeyes took the momentum gained from two consecutive wins and used it to snap Michigan’s 20-game win streak, beating the Wolverines, 4-2.

In front of one of the biggest crowds of the year, the Hawkeyes took care of business.

“There were a lot of fans, ninth inning, they were on their
By Pete Ruden

Iowa baseball played the role of streak-breaker on April 27 at Banks Field. The Hawkeyes took the momentum gained from two-consecutive victories and used it to snap Michigan’s 20-game wining streak, beating the Wolverines, 4-2.

“There were a lot of fans, ninth inning, they were on their feet, it was crazy,” first baseman Matt Hoeg said. “Michigan coming in had a big winning streak, and it was going to be a huge game for us in the race for the Big Ten, so it was something you live for as a baseball player.”

Iowa did most of its damage in the middle innings. Left fielder Tanner Wetrich started the scoring early, singling up the middle to score Hoeg.

Shortstop Kyle Crowl proceeded to keep the scoring going in the fourth with a double down the right-field line.

Hoeg swiftly brought Crowl in with an extra-base hit of his own, roping an RBI triple to right-center field. Second baseman Mitchell Boe plated Hoeg shortly after with a single to center.

A big moment came in the top of the seventh inning. With one out, Michigan’s Brock Keener had what was seemingly an easy double. However, the Iowa dugout noticed Keener missed stepping on first base, so the Hawkeyes got it to Hoeg before he could get back, forcing the out.

The moment turned out to be critical, because the Wolverines couldn’t muster a comeback from there. Michigan scored with a single in the fifth and a sacrifice fly in the eighth, but that was not enough.

Iowa ace Nick Allgeyer turned in a fantastic performance on the mound. Against one of the hottest teams in the country, he held the Wolverines to 1 run, allowing just 5 hits in 7 innings to go along with 8 strikeouts.

“There’s a little extra motivation there with a 20-game winning streak, but I try not to get too hyped up into that,” Allgeyer said. “I don’t look too much into the team. Every Friday, I got to go out there and give the team a chance to win.”

feet, it was crazy,” first baseman Matt Hoeg said. “Michigan coming in had a big win streak and it was going to be a huge game for us in the race for the Big Ten, so it was something you live for as a baseball player.”

Shortstop Kyle Crowl proceeded to keep the scoring going in the fourth with a double down the right field line.

The moment turned out to be critical, as the Wolverines couldn’t muster a comeback from there. Michigan scored with a single in the fifth and a sacrifice fly in the eighth, but it was not enough.

Iowa ace Nick Allgeyer turned in a fantastic performance from the mound. Against one of the hottest teams in the country, Allgeyer held the Wolverines to 1 run, allowing just 5 hits in 7 innings of work to go along with 8 strikeouts.