Ped Mall seeks to beautify reconstruction area

The Iowa City Ped Mall as seen on Friday, July 28, 2017. Plans are currently underway to update existing infrastructure to provide better accommodations for concerts and other events. (James Year/Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James

During construction of the Ped Mall, the Iowa City Downtown District has come up with ways to keep Ped Mall beautiful and lively.

Preparing for construction, the Iowa City Downtown District has planned a unique way to keep citizens and tourists involved in the center of Iowa City.

The Iowa City Downtown District’s main objective during the revamp of the Pedestrian Mall is to continue to drive traffic on a consistent basis.

Some events that the Downtown District are looking into is outdoor yoga, outdoor ping pong, jenga, live music, a game library, seating, and shade.

Another idea to beautify the scene of construction is to add artwork throughout the construction area.

Betsy Potter, the Director of Operations for the Downtown District said the organization learned the art project last year on Washington Street peaked the community’s curiosity for local art and provided an aesthetically pleasing view to the construction zone.

The Ped Mall will re-use the pop-up shops used during the holiday season as a space for businesses as well as live music.

The pop-up shops will provide a deck space for musicians for instances such as Market Music with Bread Garden and Sunset Salsa, a place where community members can come together to salsa dance.

The destination for these community gathering spaces are near the Iowa City Public Library and the area by Brothers and FilmScene.

— Maria Kuiper

• Ped Mall seeks to beautify reconstruction area

Downtown

Iowa City podcast debuts with an episode on historic preservation

Downtown

Partnership between Shelter House, Housing Authority aims to end Iowa City-area homelessness

Downtown

Protest sparked by Ped Mall benches

Downtown

Local artist to open store in downtown Iowa City

Downtown

Freddy’s and Panera Bread comes to the Old Capitol Town Center, Office of Sustainability moves out

Pancheros begins delivery service

Downtown

Customer service, quality contribute to business longevity, owners say

Downtown

Iowa City grows after 10 years as City of Literature

Downtown

Iowa City’s Bluebird is a decade old

Veterans for Peace advocates for change with weekly Pentacrest protest