Falbo Bros closed unexpectedly, owner unsure whether it will reopen

Popular Iowa City pizza outlet Falbo Bros. closed last week, and its owner said the restaurant’s future is uncertain.

Iowa City pizza restaurant Falbo Bros. Pizzeria, 457 S. Gilbert St., closed abruptly last week.

Owner Barry Golinvaux said he is going through personal health issues and his ability to be an owner of the restaurant has been affected.

Falbos’ Iowa City location had a paper note posted in the window that read, “Falbos is temporarily closed. Sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully, we will reopen soon.”

Another note posted underneath read, “This establishment owner, Barry, along with the entire Falbos Corp. has failed to pay employees and refuses to answer calls about this illegal failure.”

That note has since been taken down.

Golinvaux said that to his knowledge, employees have been paid and he answers his phone when called.

The pizza restaurant started in Madison, Wisconsin, in 1992 and has 10 other locations in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Texas. Falbos has been in Iowa City since 1996.