Women’s golf take clubs to Texas

(File Photo; Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Another week, another tournament for the Iowa women’s golf team, as the Hawkeyes are off to Texas to compete in the Bruzzy Challenge.

The tournament will start with the first two rounds today and conclude Tuesday afternoon.

Iowa will tee off starting at 8:30am on both today and Tuesday at the Maridoe Golf Course. It’s a tough course that has 14 holes with deep rough, water, and consistently narrow and sloping fairways.

Joining Iowa are 13 other teams. None of the members in the field are currently ranked in the top 25, which will be unusual for a team that has played 27 top-25 teams so far this year.

That change of pace should bode well for the Hawkeyes, who have struggled as of late.

RELATED: Herzog hopes to bounce back for Hawkeye golf

The lineup for the Hawkeyes will consist of Jessica Ip, Shawn Rennegarbe, Kristen Glesne, Rachel Fujtani, and Elisa Suarez. Senior Morgan Kukla will be competing as an individual.

After a last place finish in last week’s tournament, the Hawkeyes hope to turn it around in the tournament this week.

They will look for another strong performance from freshman Fujitani, who recorded a career best with a three-round score of 221 (5-over) last time out.

While Fujitani hopes to continue her solid play, Ip looks to bounce back after a relatively disappointing outing last time out. Her 230 (14-over) might not seem like a terrible score, but it is below her standard, and she hopes the trip to Texas can bring her back to form.

Rennegarbe is another Hawkeye who will be trying to ride the momentum; she had a brilliant start to last week’s tournament, notching a first round score of 73 and finishing with a score of 226 (10-over).

Iowa hopes its trip to Texas can provide some much-needed momentum for the rest of the season.