Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Iowa's rowing team practices on the Iowa River on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. The rowing team recently finalized their schedule, with two home competitions on Oct. 6 and 7. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

James Geerdes, [email protected]

Iowa rowing took to the waters competitively for the first time this spring season, as it faced No. 2 Cal, No. 10 Stanford, and No. 12 USC at the Pac-12 Invitational.

Head coach Andrew Carter and his crews were coming off one of the most successful seasons in Iowa rowing history. The 2017 season involved the Hawkeyes climbing as high as No. 11 in the rankings, and they finished No. 14 at the NCAA Championship.

This past weekend’s regatta in Redwood City, California, hosted some of the top teams in the nation. Carter said he hoped to see how his team stands against the best.

In the morning session against Cal, Iowa’s First Varsity 8 crew finished in 6:19.61 while the Second Varsity 8 finished in 6:34.08. The two crews each finished second to Cal by a margin of nine seconds.

The First Varsity 4 crew finished in 7:28.04, while Cal’s clocked in 22 seconds quicker.

In the afternoon session against Stanford, Iowa’s First Varsity 8 crew crossed in 6:22.2, down six seconds to Stanford. The Second Varisity 8 shaved off three seconds from its morning time but lost to Stanford’s Second Varsity 8 boat by two seconds.

Iowa’s Varsity 4 boat finished in 7:29.1, but it lost to Stanford’s by a margin of seven seconds.

“[March 31’s] matches were an incredible test to start our racing season,” Carter said in a release. “Cal and Stanford are certainly fast, and that was confirmed for us [March 31]. That said, I’m very pleased with the performances of our crews. They raced both of those teams very well and finished with very respectable margins.”

Sunday’s races with USC showed the potential Iowa rowing has this season. Hawkeyes boats swept the 12th-ranked Trojans.

Iowa’s First Varsity 8 crew beat USC with a time of 6:19.4, nearly three seconds faster than the Trojans’ 6:22.9. The Hawkeyes won the Second Varsity 8 with a time of 6:35, while the Trojan boat crossed in 6:41.2.

Iowa pulled in its third win on the weekend in the First Varsity 4 race against USC. Iowa finished in 7:29.1 while the Trojans finished in 7:32.2.

The Hawkeye crews will head to Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Saturday to take on Michigan State and Michigan in their next regatta.

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter

James “Jim” Geerdes is a sports reporter, digital producer, and designer. He is currently  a sophomore. He spent his freshman year covering wresting, softball, and rowing, while also designing for the print newspaper.

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Iowa rowing’s first varsity eight looks to fill seats

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Iowa rowing set for first fall scrimmage

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

The steady progression of Iowa rowing

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Iowa rowing stays hot at the Henley

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Hawkeye crews aim at new opportunity, new continent

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

A river of opportunity

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Rowing breaks school record, places 11th at Nationals

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Iowa rowing qualifies for nationals

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Battle-hardened and ready for Big Ten

• Iowa rowing finds out where it stands

Rowing

Rowing downs Michigan State, upsets Michigan