Hoosier baseball takes game No. 1 from Hawkeyes

Thanks to 11 hits, Indiana kept Iowa’s pitchers at bay, winning, 4-2, in game No. 1 of Friday’s double-header.

Indiana pitcher Cal Kruger throws a pitch against Iowa's Matt Hoeg in the bottom of the ninth inning in a baseball game on March 23, 2018, in Iowa City, IA. Indiana won, 4-2. (Nick Rohlman, The Daily Iowan)

Indiana toppled Iowa in game No. 1 on Friday, 4-2.

The Hawkeyes had a shot to make something happen late, with two runners on base, but Cal Kruger struck out Matt Hoeg to finish the game.

The Hoosiers connected on 11 hits, but they stranded nine runners. Meanwhile, Iowa notched 6 hits, stranding four.

Indiana jumped out to a 1-0 lead off Matt Lloyd’s dinger to left field. His home run marked only the second time this season Allgeyer allowed a batter to go yard.

Allgeyer took the loss, pitching 7 innings and giving up 3 runs on 10 hits – a season-high for hits allowed. He did strike out 5 batters.

Allgeyer kept things close, but once his day finished, Iowa struggled from the mound. Shane Ritter lasted 0.1 innings, Cam Baumann didn’t last even 0.1 of an inning, and Nick Nelsen finished the game’s final 1.2 innings, striking out three Hoosiers but walking two.

Lloyd’s homer gave the Hoosiers the first lead of the game – Indiana entered Friday’s contest 9-1 when finding the scoreboard first, and improved to 10-1 after the conclusion of game No. 1.

The Hawkeye bats didn’t provide much for the team to work with for most of the game. Tyler Cropley was the only Iowa player with multiple hits (2). Chris Whelan, hitting .375, finished 0-4. Robert Neustrom finished 1-4.

Facebook Comments