Guest opinion: Vote Envision Iowa

Lily Smith
Members of the Envision Iowa party speak in an interview with The Daily Iowan in Adler Journalism Building on Wednesday, March 21, 2018. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Envision Iowa wants to empower UI students to be more involved with student government.

We at Envision Iowa believe the student body is worth more than just a number. We believe that every single student at Iowa should be involved in student government. Every single student should feel as if her or his voice is heard. Right now, not all students are well-represented, not all students feel that their voices matter, and we are here to change that.

We at Envision Iowa want to create a new standard. We want to solve this problem by reaching out to the students. It is unacceptable that students are expected to make the first move. Envision Iowa senators are ready to take full advantage of their positions. They want to hold office hours for YOU, the students. Every week, students will be invited to come into the UISG office and talk to their senators.

Envision Iowa’s ticket does not stem from previous UISG representation. We are a group of passionate students who come from all areas of campus. One thing we have in common: All of us have realized a similar issue, which is a very small number of students know about student government, the effect it has on them, and the benefits of getting involved.

RELATED: Apologies, investigation follow UISG presidential candidate’s tweet

We believe that with a student government in control of a large amount of student-fee dollars, more students should feel the urge to be involved and be aware.

Also, different from other tickets, we strongly believe the initiatives we are pushing for should be universal initiatives that every student at Iowa can get behind. This is what ultimately will unite us as a student body to create change that affects everyone, such as tuition.

Our main focuses on our platform include: freezing tuition, offering scholarship for professional trips, providing stronger support to fraternity and sorority life-related issues, creating mental-health liaisons in every college, adding free Wi-Fi near athletics facilities for safer game days, and implementing the campus bike-share program. We encourage everyone to check out our website, envisioniowa2018.org, for more information. Envision Iowa with us.

— Kyle Apple, Lucee Laursen, and the Envision Iowa team