Guest opinion: Student voices matter at UI

The campus-wide survey is an open invitation to tell officials what is working and what needs work.

Students are the reason we are here. Hearing from you helps us make the university a better place for everyone. Thanks to feedback you have shared over the past several years, the UI has found better ways to schedule final exams, streamline the drop and add process, improve food-service programs in the residence halls, and create more and better spaces to study on campus.

Recently, many students said there is a need for extra help in challenging classes. Hearing from you helped us develop and expand the Academic Resource Center, which offers free supplemental instruction for many classes, a tutor-referral service when you need one-on-one help, and study spaces throughout campus.

For more resources, visit the Resources for Students homepage.

Two years ago, the university conducted a campus-wide survey of all undergraduates and learned more about student perspectives on financial concerns and the effects of working, campus climate for diversity, commitments to community service, and levels of satisfaction and interaction with faculty.

Visit this link to take the UI Student Experience Survey.

This semester, we are asking UI students to tell us more. In the days and weeks ahead, you will receive email invitations to take a survey about your UI experiences. This survey is an open invitation to tell us what has been working well — and not so well — for you as a UI student.

RELATED: Students questioning whether they belong at the University of Iowa, survey shows

Faculty are working hard to help you succeed and challenge you to excel. Survey responses will tell us more about how you are experiencing your classes and majors, and ways we might be able to improve our support for your success and the success of future students.

Many students are balancing work, family, and other commitments alongside academics, and we understand concerns about the rising cost of college. Survey responses will tell us more about how these concerns affect your academic and personal lives, and the sacrifices you and your families are making for your education.

RELATED: UI conducting second survey on sexual misconduct

Many students are actively engaged on campus and throughout the community. Survey responses will tell us more about how that engagement enriches the educational experience and also what experiences are keeping some students from feeling as welcome and connected as you all deserve to be.

Past surveys have confirmed something we see every day: There’s a lot of Hawkeye pride here, and even as students tell us how we can improve the university, most are also telling us how glad they are to be here. The University of Iowa is a great place, and when you share your stories, we can keep making it better.

RELATED: Survey reveals decline in high-risk alcohol use among UI students 

We want all student voices to be heard to ensure survey results represent both undergraduate and graduate perspectives and experiences as thoroughly as possible. To make sure your voice is heard, go online and tell us what you think.

This is YOUR college experience, and we want to serve YOU in the best way possible.

– Lon Moeller, associate provost for Undergraduate Education

– Melissa Shivers, vice president for Student Life