Ahmad Wagner leaving basketball program

The Hawkeyes\' junior forward will change course, switching schools and sports.

Ahmad Wagner leaving basketball program

Iowa forward Ahmad Wagner (0) drives the ball to the hoop over Michigan's M-A Abdur-Rahkman (12) during the NCAA basketball game between Iowa and Michigan at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2017. The Hawkeyes fell to the Wolverines 75-68. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

Hawkeye basketball forward Ahmad Wagner is leaving the Iowa program… to pursue opportunities in collegiate football.

Head coach Fran McCaffery announced the news on Tuesday.

According to a release, Wagner will finish this semester at Iowa before choosing a new school for football.

“I have had recent discussions with my family and the coaching staff, and ultimately decided to leave the Hawkeye basketball program and end my college basketball career so I can finish my collegiate eligibility playing football,” Wagner said in a release. “A person of strong faith, I am following God’s plan and I am eager for this next chapter. I leave the Iowa men’s basketball team with new friendships and incredible memories that I will forever treasure. I want to thank coach McCaffery, staff, and teammates for helping me grow both as a basketball player and person.

“My plan now is to train and get my body into football shape so I can be ready for when I decide where I will finish my athletic and academic goals. Thank-you Hawkeye nation for your support and welcoming me when I first stepped onto campus.”

This past season, Wagner averaged 1.7 points and 1.7 rebounds in 30 games. During his sophomore campaign, the Yellow Springs, Ohio, native averaged 4.8 points, 3.4 rebounds, and earned the team’s Most Improved Player Award.

Facebook Comments